Workamping in Virginia

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Folks,

So we are at the Army Corp of Engineers campground on Philpott Lake in south central Virginia. I work 3 8 hr shifts in a row then 6 days off. I have electric, water, sewage, wifi, with a box I can have choice of satellite tv and if I choose to pay a small fee I can have a phone line, laundry room and mail delivery. My Verizon phone works fine here. We will be here until the end of March and then ?, idk. This is the first time we have had complete hook-ups.

Had a look on google earth – nice looking area.  Are you near the dam?  Hope you have a great time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Terry and Carol,

The dam is just to the right of that photo. I can see it when I am at work but not from the campground. The lake is over 2,000 miles with over 100 miles of shoreline.

Justin & Stacy
    Participant

Certainly looks like a nice place. I am sure the foliage is going to be pretty cool. What does your work day consist of. Does this job qualify you for a National Parks Volunteer Pass? How long are the sites? would they hold a 39′ 5r with multiple slides?

Justin

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Justin and Stacey,

The jobs here offer Gate Keeper (includes pay with site), Visitor’s Center and Trail Maintenance. For the gate and center it can take up to a yr to get in. Singles volunteer 24 hrs, couples, I am not sure as I see the couples working same days. Pads are apx 40 long x 20 wide so your rig will fit. I am at the Bowens Creek Volunteer Compound Campground which is the best out of 3? 4? compounds. Nicely shaded. One street light down below. I am up top. Only 12 sites. 1/4 mile wake to the lake. You receive a key for winter full access to the lake as it is locked up from the public at the end of Sept. Public use the access road for playground and boat ramp only. Photo of laundry and tool room beside me. I can’t find the photos of my rig on the site, hmmm. Full foliage will be here some 10 days. This is Army Corp of Engineers. If interested you can speak to Ranger Ernie Sheperd. If you have any more questions give me another holler.   :good:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Forgot to answer some of your questions. You work 3 8 hr shifts in a row and have 6 days off. And yes, aft 120 days (I believe) you do receive an access pass to all National Parks.

Larry
    Participant

Surprised its open all winter,what kind of snow do they get? Sounds like a good deal for work camping. Hear how the fishing is?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I looked up the weather before we left Pennsylvania and the average is only 10 degrees warmer. I often hear that if it snows during the night it will be gone by mid-day. It does get cold but I have unlimited heat so that is ok thus far. And the hilly roads are often icy and it may be difficult to leave the campground to go to work as there is a huge hill just outside of the compoud. I am not sure about working outside for 8 hours as I am not used to it but will see how it goes and it is only for 3 days and then off to warm up for 6. I hear fishing is fantastic and there are state record trout at the spill of the dam. Out of state license is $47 for the year or $5-$7 a day. You can buy the license online and print out on home printer. The lake is narrow and long with many fingers and lagoons.  I have seen a volunteer compound at one of their other areas and not as nice. No or little shade, sites closer together, more street lights. We have 30′ between us with a tree barrier, except the gate attendants 2 sites. They are on-top of each other. I am only 3’ish weeks into it so we’ll see. I am now trying for Kentucky, then Tennessee with Alabama following for a winter stay. Hoping to get in the first two next summer, 3-4 months each. And then westward the year aft. If you have the Periscope App I have broadcasted the compound and the 1/4 mile walk to the lake and then again while being on the lake, username is CapeCodGiftShop. Photo is of the marina that is here. The marina itself is private. I haven’t been inside the store yet to see what is in there.

Larry
    Participant

Sounds nice there ,will mark it in journal to visit someday,thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.