Wind Blown

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Pender
    Participant

We returned from a week long trip south in our 5er Sunday. Monday I was calling my Insurance Agent to report damages to my 5er. We had spent a couple of days at Big River California on the Colorado. Out of 8 days spent in travel and camping 4 were windy, 30 to 45 mph. On the day we were to head for home the wind was still pretty strong, but we decided to take it slow and be careful. About 15 miles out of Needles Ca. a big wind hit us almost head on. Almost like we had hit something, but it was just wind. I pulled over when I could and found that a large section of my aluminum siding was hanging down on the right side of my 5er. I just happened to have my drilldriver and sheet metal screws to re-attache the siding to make it on home to Vegas. I had not thought about the siding blowing off in the wind. The wind strenth must have been close to 100mph when you factor in my speed of aprox 55mph and possible wind speed of 45 and maybe rogue gusts of? No moral to this story, things just happen, sometimes.

Ray
    Keymaster

Wow, that’s wild William, glad your OK. I wonder if the siding had a weak spot. Lucky you pulled over to check things out.

William Pender
    Participant

We had a good time and took my wife’s new pup who took to rving real quick. Probably luck the gust hit us head on.

That’s a little scary William! I wonder if insurance covers that?

We were driving through the Mohave and twice the wind gusts blew our steps out. I finally had to bungee cord them closed.

Cheers!

William Pender
    Participant

I have Comprehensive on it and have had the panels replaced on the other side before when I got to close to a tree a few years ago. Took me awhile to understand 5er towing.

William Pender
    Participant

I got my 5er back about 10 days ago in time for the grandkids spring break. Took 4 of them fishing to Eagle Valley for 5 days. New siding looks good, and new hardware for awning. Did not get a space wide enough to use the awning but it seems to work fine. Going to Utah for summer I guess.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.