Which Solar Panels?

Home RV Happy Hour Forums Solar Power Which Solar Panels?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Old_Man 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Hello Jerry and Martha, it depends on the sun you have but if that is good generally a 150w panel and a couple of batteries will keep up with low energy lighting, charging your phones, a bit of laptop use and a little TV nothing more. If you are running a microwave, fridge, leaving your inverter on all the time then you need to spec up a lot! If you are running your generator for 2 hours a day that’s a lot of power and if you want to get off the generator then unless you want to install a lot of panels then you need to change how you live. Personally I live carefully but I only have a small roof space anyway. Richard

Hello Eddie and Eileen, 1500 watts! Maybe 6 x 250 watt panels, that’s 5m x 2m of clear roof space just to fit the panels? What batteries do you have? I don’t use power like that at home. What are you driving, must be a bus? What are you powering, must be a steel foundry? :Big-Grin: :Cool:

We’re planning on joining you next year from about May 19 and I’ve been really enjoying the love your rv blog as part of making plans to ship our motorhome across the pond on a roro ship to Halifax, NS and found the forums from that.

We’re in a seemingly modest 6.5m (21.5ft) coach built, ci carioca 656, and until I started needing to charge our electric bike batteries we managed, still with more power than we needed, with a single 100w panel for lighting, TV, laptops and phone charging and two 95ah 12v leisure batteries. I can’t imagine what you are doing with 15 times that much power. Since upgrading the bikes to electric I’ve upgraded to a single 265w watt panel for charging the bikes which now fills all the available roof space I have, and an Epever tracer 3210AN charge controller. I still manage to run the 130w fridge for a few hours a day with the excess power we would otherwise throw away and save a bit of propane as a result

We’ve been spoiled by the free camping, water, waste points, refuse bins and even electricity (not that we tend to bother with electric hook ups) everywhere in France, Spain and Portugal and the we won’t bother you if you don’t bother us attitudes in continental Europe generally and so slightly apprehensive as to what we will find in Canada and the US and how spread out and accessible those things may be? From reading it all seems very spread out from what we are used to.

We have 100ltr (26.5 us gal) water and a cassette toilet. We can stretch that out to a week generally as long as we can find somewhere to empty the toilet. We have (for us) 2 months of propane and never need electric hook up. 350 mile diesel fuel range.

We’re not full time but get at least 3 months and up to 8 months in the RV each year. We’re coming for a year to North America and considering near full time living and seeing some more of the world

Richard and Julie.

Hate to break your low-budget solar fantasy but R&J have the right idea. if you’re full-timing it, you need POWER. Some are not as frugal with power than others but since it’s FREE ELECTRICITY who is to say you’re right and they’re wrong and it’s rude to ask them what they’re using their power for?

R&J are even more ambitious than I am, in terms of solar and they’re in practice. I’ll take the word of someone who has actually done it on the scale I intend to use.

But here’s the real question: What’s it to you? Simply put, challenging them this way smacks of the rudest and most useless sort of peer pressure and even if I’m alone (you’ve done this to me, too) and my answer is the same. NYFB.

What they need the power for is not your concern. Their setup allows them to utilize their RV for whatever they want. Same as you. Same as me. I’m interested in all the things they DO run, and what kind of pitfalls they didn’t expect, what’s good, what fails. I don’t want that info from you because you only are responsive to those who do it like you, and you like to criticize anyone who has a more ambitious setup than you do.

Tread carefully in your criticism of the wants or needs of others, esp as regards solar equipment. My guess is you’re feeling inadequate with your small solar setup, but you needn’t.

But R&J’s rig is not your circus, not your monkeys. What’s your beef? Next thing you’ll be giving people crap about what they use their power for. Give it a rest.

Ha Ha

We became FullTimers July !6th, 2016

We are 1070 watts and 8-6 volt T-105’s 900 ah’s.

Hi Flyingppg yes I am insane LOL.

these rigs are our homes , with the charge controller I found it was the cloud effect that was causing a problem and I might need to add Another Solar charge controller might have too much power.

I’m hearing that you can never have too much power it seems. Like a flat screen TV it can never be too large.  :bye:

But R&J’s rig is not your circus, not your monkeys. What’s your beef? Next thing you’ll be giving people crap about what they use their power for. Give it a rest.

What’s my beef? I don’t think you can beat a nice stew with dumplings especially on those sub 10degC days when your lithium batteries won’t charge. If too many people have too much solar power it is just going to suck all the energy out of the sun and make it go out. Then where will we be? I was just getting used to the higher temperatures from global warming which is another good reason to be burning more oil. Small solar is the way to go for sure. We need the sun to keep burning.  :Silly:    :Sun:   :Love:

What’s my beef? I don’t think you can beat a nice stew with dumplings especially on those sub 10degC days when your lithium batteries won’t charge. If too many people have too much solar power it is just going to suck all the energy out of the sun and make it go out. Then where will we be? I was just getting used to the higher temperatures from global warming which is another good reason to be burning more oil. Small solar is the way to go for sure. We need the sun to keep burning. :Silly: :Sun: :Love:

Seriously man, if you think we’re using up Sol by collecting and making electricity, I can’t help you. But, by all means, don’t take all the solar. Matter of fact, When I get my panels laid out, I’m STEALING YOUR SOLAR!!! AND your panels.

No juice for YOU!!!

Come spend the winter where you needn’t run hardly any juice at all. winter weather of southwest Arizona is pretty nice and I don’t need six layers of thermals to go outside. Naah, you don’t want to meet me. I’m a butthead. I mean what are you doing in  the Great White North, anyway? Grabbin’ some of Ricky’s stash? Hunt’n and trapp’n in the nude? Growing weed? Powerin’ a moonshine still?

#SMH

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Old_Man.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who viewed ThisX