What comes after?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I read a lot of other blog sites, one topic that seems to be avoided is what comes after you decide or have to come off the road? Here in Canada, some municipalities are coming down hard on people living in RV’s, their excuse is that they don’t meet CSA standards for housing and this includes park models.

I have land in a rural municipality, they now require a development permit to park a RV, and it’s not allowed to be hooked to any utilities, and must be at least 16.5′ from the property line, as compared to 5′ for any building. No skirting, decks, parking pads, blocking are permitted. You are not allowed to stay for more than 14 days in a parked RV. You don’t get a warning letter anymore, first offence is $500, second $1000, third and subsequent $5000. No grandfathering is permitted. All this has been passed in the last 6 months in a fairly unadvertised campaign, only visible if you checked the county website on a regular basis.

Part of the reason this has occurred is that there is a lack of areas left that you can camp on, most private campsites can charge what they want as they have huge waiting lists, the province closed all of it’s campsites many years ago, and the proximity to Edmonton. Many people bought marginal land, moved their RV’s onto the site and used them as summer cottages. Wealthier neighbours built houses, and then didn’t want RV’s next to them. Seeing as taxes on an undeveloped site run about $85 a year, and a site with a house pays well over a $1000 a year, the house owners have a lot more influence at county council. Probably generator noise on weekends was a contributing factor as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if new sales of land in the area end up with a requirement to build within a specific time period.

So what do you do when you are actively not wanted? With the new land use bylaws, the property doesn’t have much resale value. You basically have no choice but to build at least a small house, and it has to be built to code, no summer cabins. It’s pretty obvious to me that someone thought long and very hard on a legal way to exclude RV use other than in commercial parks.

Norma
    Participant

Wow, that’s crappy!  Maybe look into how you could get zoned to open an RV park?  :unsure:

Anonymous
    Inactive

The land is zoned lakeside residential, this means no septic fields, holding tanks only. Only 40% of the tree cover can be removed, on the average lot that gives you about a 50′ x 50′ space to build in, which isn’t enough room to get the construction equipment in. Fortunately, in the past, my lots had been cleared before the environmental laws had been passed. I do have to put back any trees I remove.

Our original intent was to use this property as our summer spot, but with the changes in the by-laws, we have to build a small house to use it. We did intend to do that later on, this makes us accelerate our plans. It’s going to be a very busy year!

I posted this as a warning to anyone that was considering a similar course. Counties can change land use by-laws very quickly, just because you thought you had your bases covered doesn’t mean they can’t change the rules of the game!

Norma
    Participant

So true.  Most want to take care of the future and buy young, but LOTS can change in the interim.  I guess the best bet is put the money up and don’t touch it….but when real estate is cheap, it’s hard to resist…

What about an RV garage?  Then add the house on.  Might be able to get a pass since you can’t actually SEE the RV…and if you had hookups, no genny noise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So true. Most want to take care of the future and buy young, but LOTS can change in the interim. I guess the best bet is put the money up and don’t touch it….but when real estate is cheap, it’s hard to resist…

Well, it will never be cheaper or as unregulated to build as right now. As it is, we are compelled to buy into the mandatory home warranty program. It’s been a whirlwind of activity to try and get the process into motion, just as well I’m retired, as it’s been a three ring circus trying to get all the i’s dotted and t’s crossed. Plus I’m renovating our current house to sell, new kitchen going in, and found some hidden structural issues which have to be dealt with. If you want the dream, you gotta do the work!

What about an RV garage?  Then add the house on.  Might be able to get a pass since you can’t actually SEE the RV…and if you had hookups, no genny noise.

They specifically won’t permit RV storage structures. It’s the way it is. We’re a lot more regulated than you guys are, seems it’s the governments business to mind everyone elses business and mine as much money as possible from us.

Norma
    Participant

Well crap they thought of everything, didn’t they?  Time to go kayaking, Roger…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I seem  to have lost my paddle!  😉

Chris & Cindy
    Participant

Maybe the local news can help, it seems that a few high power people secretly got that pushed through and that is not how government is supposed to work! Also are you a Good Sam member? they are fighting that kinda thing all the time. :scratch:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I’m a Good Sam member, but they don’t have much influence in Canada. Canadian Snowbirds Association is our best voice here, but I don’t think they are going to be much help when it comes to land use bylaws in just one county.

Most of the reasons this has occurred is because of land owner abuse and nuisance complaints. You should see some of the sites at Summer Haven, they look like junkyards or garbage dumps, some have abandoned cottages that are rotting away. Old travel trailers with trees growing through them. On the other hand, there new homes and well maintained properties, mostly in the majority.

My original point was buying land for future use as a summer spot has it’s downfalls, even if current land use bylaws permit it, they can be changed very quickly. Do your homework before you buy!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.