Want to wire up a cargo trailer

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m looking for some guidance on how to wire up my cargo trailer.  I want to turn it into a mini-toy hauler of sorts.  I’d like to add a battery, lights, electrical outlets, shore power, and eventually solar.  I’m pretty handy with Ohm’s Law and the like I’m just not sure what all I’ll need.  Converter?  Inverter?  Looking for some tutorials on wiring up an RV.  I could gerry something up but I’d like everything to be standard, best practices, etc.

Anyone got any good resources, blogs, videos with some good how-to’s?

Slim Lundeen

Open trailer or closed box.  That will define what sort of electrical box you want to use.  I am assuming that it already has some wiring on it for like brakes, lights and such.  An inverter changes VDC to VAC.  Converter, VAC to VDC.  The first thing to do is draw out a little sketch on what you want to do.  I sure you can find examples on the net for that and that should get you started.  Good Luck!  Slim

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

It’s a closed box trailer.  I haven’t picked it up yet, buying used.  If there are no lights I want to add some.  Will also probably want to put in an air conditioner down the road.  But for now just want enough to have light at night, recharge the phone, run my laptop, maybe run a vent fan.

Slim Lundeen

The nice thing about electricity is you can USUALLY tap in later to add more stuff.  My suggestion is to do up a schematic of what you want to do right now.  You can do that with pencil or paper old school or there might be some free programs out there to do it with.

Slim Lundeen

Digi-Key has an online schematic program.  Google up “free schematic software”.  I just glanced at it making a simple battery to fuse drawing.  Looks pretty easy and complete.

Slim Lundeen

Digi-Key is one of the big electronics venders.  Of course you probably already knew that.

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

Yep pretty familiar with Digi-key.  I actually have a degree in electronics if you can believe that.  But knowing the color codes on a resistor is not the same as knowing what components I would need to wire up an electrical system. 😀

Actually I found a pretty good, step by step Youtube video last night that may help me out.

Slim Lundeen

I do know what you mean.  Being a Machine Tool Mechanic I know a little bit about electronics and a whole bunch more about electricity.  A lot of people don’t realize what a huge difference there is.  You might also take a look at Ray’s post on his Solar installation.  There is a whole bunch of basic electricity theory in that set up and a good example of a basic schematic.  It’s a pretty interesting post in my opinion.

Stephen C Keller
    Participant

Youtube can be your friend. also Ray covers quite a bit on what he has done to his rig. Yours would be smaller scale but still same idea.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.