Video/Camcorder Tips and Techniques

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dale
    Participant

I am thinking how fun it would be to take Videos of our adventures and upload them to sites such as YouTube or some other site. Problem is I do not know what format is good for using on my Canon vixia or how to load to my computer or how to edit and do voice overs and upload. This seems like a lot of tech savy operations and I think would make for interesting discussion? Any thoughts?

Dale

Ray
    Keymaster

I use a product called – Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X7 for my YouTube videos.

I have a Sony Camcorder for taking movies and also my Sony NEX5 still camera does movie clips. They both output as AVCHD files in full HD video

I’ve tried several programs but this one seems to work best on my Windows Laptop. It’s built to take advantage of 64 bit processing, so works smoothly and I like the interface. Do a search for it on YouTube there are many videos showing you the program.

After I have made the movie I output it as an MP4. YouTube seems to like that format.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Photo’s and video methods depend a lot on the individual, and the level of complexity you are willing to get into. I think the important thing is that you satisfy yourself with the results.
    I’ve been using Windows Movie Maker since the XP days, and most of the video has been processed on a 32 bit notebook, 4 years old now. I don’t do hi-def. Movie maker has all the basics needed to make a presentable video for YouTube or making your own DVD’s, and is simple and intuitive to use. I’m at the low end of the spectrum from Ray’s work.

I have dvd’s of holiday videos dating back into the 90’s, we still enjoy pulling them out once and a while and reminiscing about travels and adventures we have had. I like the video format as you can add music, narration, your still pictures and weave mood into the story telling.
    Good topic!

Dale
    Participant

My wife and I went to our Daughters for Christmas and My Grand daughter was showing me the videos she took and she used Windows movie maker. I did not know I even had that on my computer. So now I have it and will practice transferring the video I took at their house onto my computer and see what all I can do with it. I would like to get close to what Ray does as I really like his videos. We are leaving for Florida tomorrow and I would like to upload some of our travels so the friends and family can see them back home. Since I now have Movie maker on my computer I will start with that and see if my interest grow then move on to something else if I want to accomplish more. I think this will be fun. Many years ago I had a program from Ulead studios but never could get it to work on the computer I had so I got discussed with it and never tried to figure out what was wrong but I don’t think I had enough space or Ram on the computer I had. Hopefully the computer I now have will be able to work.
    Dale

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ray’s video’s are good because he tells a story, has a good sense of humor and doesn’t take himself to seriously. His personality comes through well in his work.

Use a tripod whenever possible, and ALWAYS pan slower than you think necessary. A great panorama that blurs by on the screen is useless. All stories are better when people are in them, don’t be afraid to get in front of the camera.

To start with, use a lower resolution on the camera, this will greatly reduce computer processing time while you are learning. Expect to throw out most of what you shoot, frequently less is more. It’s easy to shoot hours of material, especially nature material, but most of it just isn’t interesting, you have to be ruthless when editing!

After a while, you find yourself watching a video, and find yourself analyzing the techniques that were used to make it good or bad. What starts out as a few “holiday videos” can turn into a very challenging hobby!

Ray
    Keymaster

Thanks Roger, 🙂 The panning and zooming is a good tip and I mess up with that quite often. It’s hard with the tiny size of the camcorder, and the quick zoom button to remember to take it slow, have to constantly remind myself.

I used Windows MovieMaker for many of my early videos, very straight forward and simple program and does a good job. Only problem I had was I would have to take the HD videos that came out of my camcorder and scale them down first before editing or the Moviemaker software would choke on them, especially if I was trying to edit a longer video.

Since I switched to this 64 bit software that can take advantage of my 64 bit processor in my laptop I can now feed in full resolution clips and it handles them very smoothly, very pleased.

For video conversion I really like the program called http://www.aimersoft.com/video-converter-ultimate.html  I usually run my final product through that and have it make the video into an MP4 at 1280×720. Makes reasonable file size for uploading on the road and YouTube likes it. They generally come out looking pretty good.

Dale
    Participant

“Ray’s video’s are good because he tells a story, has a good sense of humor and doesn’t take himself to seriously.”

Yes he does and that is what really makes a difference and makes a video fun and interesting to watch. I have already made improvements to my trailer from watching Ray’s video’s.
    Great tips Roger Sue and Ray. I have already learned so much from just the last couple of comments that I can not wait to upload my first in the coming week or two. We are busy packing right now and will be making the 1000 mile trip South starting Saturday ( tomorrow ) morning.
    Cheers
    Dale

Ray
    Keymaster

Another tip for videos is sound.

Funny enough it’s likely more important than the video. If folks can’t hear you properly they will give up watching. People will forgive poor video resolution, lighting and distortion if the sound is clear much easier than the other way around.

I’ve learned to try and shoot my videos in quieter locations and on windless days. I also try and hold the camera close to my face when filming so my voice can come through well.

On my wishlist is some sort of remote mic system.

Dale
    Participant

Yes Ray you are right about the sound. One thing I don’t like is music (usually the type I do not like) playing in the background or a video that has only captions or words describing the process or subject. I usually just go to another video that is easy on my brain. I like those wireless mics you talk about but I will have to get a lot of video experience behind me before I start looking at them.
    Take care
    dale

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.