Truck Campers Escape the Rat Race

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lynn and Clara 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

Not sure if we have many truck camper members yet but thought this is a great article link to christen this sub-forum with. Well worth the read. They are living the full time dream in a truck camper.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-lifestyle/truck-campers-escape-the-rat-race

Dave and Cindy Gilbert were on a collision course with a lifestyle they didn’t want.  Here’s how they escaped to live full-time, footloose and fancy free, in a truck camper.

RVHH Chief Cook and Bottle Washer - LoveYourRV.com

Larry
    Participant

Great story, we also have a truck camper. Lance 1191 with a fold out tent on the back.  They are just like a small apartment, when slide is out and tent put down ,plenty of room. At one time they were small like a closet ,but not anymore. Want to tow a boat so truck camper works well. Doesn’t matter what you have as long as its enjoyable.

Ray
    Keymaster

We loved our camper van, took us to places the fifth wheel could never go. Coming back from down south this year I saw a big Class “A” towing a truck with a small camper that the top popped up on. Would be a nice combo for full timing, leave the big RV at the park and head out into the wild with the little truck camper.

RVHH Chief Cook and Bottle Washer - LoveYourRV.com

Larry
    Participant

We are thinking of a way to snow bird for the winters. We like the idea of a fifth wheel in a Florida park for winter then store it there till next winter. We have friends that have been doing this. This past season they sold the fifth wheel and bought a park model home,very reasonable price. If money was no object I would try the upper scale of rving,class A and all the toys, would even but a trawler that we could travel across some oceans. . Im thankful for what I have, but I find myself buying more lottery tickets the older I get,my body says it doesn’t want to keep doing masonry work until im 70yrs old.

Well we are official truck campers now. Sold our 5 th wheel and bought a Eagle Cap 950 with slide. We also found that the 5 th wheel was to big (35ft. Plus truck 55ft.) To big for most state parks. We felt whether  right or wrong (right 😜) that we would get more enjoyment out of the camper by being able to visit national parks both here in Canada and the US. And a lot easier for boon docking on those tight roads and out of way places. Now we have to start over by re-equipping the camper with all the little extras that we did to the 5 ver. Even though we have a generator we still wish to install solar. With the 5ver it was very expensive as we installed the best equipment from AM Solar but loved the ability to dry camp and not worry about running out of battery power. Not sure if we need to go to that expense.  We did purchase the top of the line battery monitor but unsure what to do next. Maybe, just go with the portable battery solar kit? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Larry
    Participant

Congrats on your camper, I would  just get 1 or 2 panels on the roof. My 85 watt keeps 2 batterys maintained, should have got a 135 Kryocera,but Lance only offered what I got. Check out Truck Camper Magazine for rallys and info.

Thanks Larry I will look into getting two panels.

Lynn and Clara
    Participant

Grats Bob,Marie & Khaleesi on the truck camper. You may find some useful information on this site http://mellomikeadventures.us/. Mello Mike writes for a truck camper magazine and does a lot of boondocking. Enjoy the new Rig.

Lynn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.