Trailer Towing Guide

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ray
    Keymaster

Here is a link to great towing guide put out by the insurance company in BC to be used as a study guide for getting a special licence to tow a trailer. Some good info in it.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/driving-guides/Pages/Towing-a-Recreational-Trailer.aspx

Link to downloadable PDF – http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Documents/towing-trailer-full-mv2024.pdf

When I picked up my 5’vr the dealer took me out for a test – hitching, un-hitching, safety check, starting off, turning, stopping – then told me I’d passed and would be issued a trailer towing card.  I had no idea until he told me.  It’s not law in Ontario yet but is expected to be which is why they had me do the test.  So heads up to our Ontario buddies.

Ray
    Keymaster

In BC if the rig is over 10,o00 lbs max weight you have to get a special licence. Mine is just under so nothing was needed. Bob had to get one for his Montana.

Yes he said that was the current limit but the provincial government was going to lower it to 8000 lbs.  Personally, when you see how some people drive, even little tent trailers, I think it makes sense to have some training and a license to prove it.

Marsha & Dewey
    Participant

Wow, those are some strict laws, down here in laid back USA, you don’t need a special license until your 60′ or over, I think. Commercial license, more money off course, and tests. but knowbody has to pass any test to drive anything under 60′, which might not be the best idea. I wonder if BC requires anything from us residents, when we drive into Canada?

Ray
    Keymaster

I believe if you’re legal in your home state you are OK in BC. Most provinces and states have agreements for that. Only thing I know for sure is they don’t allow triple towing, but that is like that from state to state as well.

Marsha & Dewey
    Participant

Thanks Ray

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.