Three blown tires,

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Pender
    Participant

I have had two tires blow apart and one turn lopsided in the last two trips with my 5ver. All five tires on my 5ver were Carlyle load range D. I run them at 60lbs. I had less than 5000mi on any of them.   Aprox 3yrs old. I take 4 or 5 trips a year of about 400-500mi round trip.  During the summer to keep my cost down I may leave it on my friends property in Ut.  Any advice?

Ray
    Keymaster

Guess I’ve been lucky, towed around 40,000 miles I figure in the last two years and no problems. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Only thing I can think of is to get the rig weighed and make sure it’s not overloaded. But more likely a bad batch of tires I would think.

If you’re looking for replacements the brand Maxxis have a good reputation.

I’m using TowMaxx, some folks report problems, I’ve had none. I wore out my first set of load “D” and went to load “E”s that have an extra 2 plys and can hold max 80 lbs air. It did seem to improve the ride a bit and they don’t bulge as much.

William Pender
    Participant

I have gone to an E rated tire as I replace the old ones.

Don Blazejewski
    Participant

What kind of road speed are you driving? Most trailer tires are not speed rated and top speed should probably be kept under 65. I know some guys with 33 and 38 ft 5ers  that cruise at 70 plus mph

Dan Huhn
    Participant

I usually travel at 60 or a little below the tire on mine I put 80 psi in them that’s whats recommended I have not had a flat or blowout in the three years I’ve had them they are the original tire which are towmax . I’m hopeing to get at least one more season out of them. I plan to upgrade to Maxxis tires when I replace them. I’ve heard good reviews on them.

William Pender
    Participant

I usually keep my speed below 65 mph, normally about 60. I have heard that sitting will cause more harm than running down the highway. Mine probably sit more than roll. Anyway I’m going to the E rated tires.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.