T-Mobil 2016?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lynn and Clara
    Participant

As I get our little 5er ready for the extended road trip, one of the considerations is internet. We have a Verison plan and will keep it but the T-Mobil plan with the video binge has caught my interest. Do any of you use T-Mobil? Have they really increased their coverage? Is T-Mobil viable as a second carrier?

Thanks in advance for your insight and comments.

Lynn

If you know where you might be using it,  check for coverage there. No fun if you can’t connect.

A good resource is

Overview of Mobile Internet Options for RVers

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Kimberly Flores. Reason: Added resource

I have an unlimited Verizon mifi AND a Sprint mifi. There’s been a few times that the sprint came in a bit stronger. But the overall coverage isn’t there.

Lynn and Clara
    Participant

Thanks Kimberly for the link. In the area where I live (Ohio) the T-Mobile map shows coverage, that said we will be traveling for about a year and snowbirding winters after that. My interest in T-Mobile is for entertainment for the most part. The unlimited streaming is certainly of interest to me. Then I could watch all of Ray’s videos while on the road lol.

So I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with T-Mobile.

Thanx

Lynn

LolaandRush
    Participant

We just got back from 18000 miles and 8 months and found in Colorado none of them work much. High mountains interfere.

Lynn and Clara
    Participant

Thanks for the info LolaandRush. I found that also during my time as a otr driver.

Lynn

Lynn and Clara
    Participant

I was hoping things have improved over the past few years. Maybe not.

Lynn

Lynn and Clara
    Participant

An update on T-Mobile. I got a 6 gig data only plan for $35.00 us plus hotspot payment, insurance and taxes ( $46.00 ). The coverage, although better now, is not as good as Verizon. No surprise there. I went with this plan as a second source for entertainment as we watch Netflix a couple of hours nightly. T-Mobile’s Binge On feature allows streaming video with no hit on the data. The video quality is reduced to 480, but that is good enough for us. As for coverage, if you are fairly close to major cities or Interstates there is a good chance there is a signal. Of corse, there are a number of areas in the western US where none of the carriers has service. In short, if you watch a lot of videos, don’t mind reduced quality, and spend some time in the T-Mobil coverage area, the data only plan is a pretty good bang for your buck.

Of corse, this is my opinion and I am no expert.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.