State Inspection for RV's

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    LolaandRush
    Participant

I just found out I have to get our RV inspected before I can renew registration. Not a happy camper but its got to be done. The problem is you just can’t go to any inspection station. There not just around the corner. Nearest one is 30 miles. Oh well got to be done.

Really!? Is it a newer Rig? -Nancy

LolaandRush
    Participant

One year old.

We never have had ours inspected, Bob’s afraid that as more people use RVs more states will want to inspect them! $$$ – ? -Nancy 🙄

LolaandRush
    Participant

I was given the local state inspectors number and contacted him and was told people at license plate office where wrong. Mostly likely had me confused with a motor home.  Makes since though.

Ryanincc
    Participant

Starting March 1st, Texas has made RV inspections law too. Gotta pass one for registration. From what I read, I don’t have to because my pop up camper isn’t heavy enough. Here’s some info.

A link to a good article about it: http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Law-requires-that-trailers-get-safety-inspections-6115851.php

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 4,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection.

In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional information such as:

• Weight Certificate, and/or
    • Photograph of trailer.

For information about all required documentation and fees, contact your county tax assessor-collector office.

What’s Inspected by Vehicle Type
    <h4>Items of Inspection for a Trailers or Mobile Homes</h4>
    05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
    2. Tires
    3. Wheel Assembly
    4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
    5. Tail Lamps (2)
    6. Stop Lamps (2)
    7. License Plate Lamp (1)
    8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
    9. Turn Signal Lamps
    10. Clearance Lamps
    11. Side Marker Lamps
    12. Side Reflectors
    13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
    (Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
    14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number
    15. Window Tint.

LolaandRush
    Participant

I was reading about Texas law on Facebook group. Darn that’s a shame.

Norma
    Participant

I’m so used to it now that I just popped ol’ Lurch down there and let them give him the once-over.  He passed with flying colors!  Only cost me $14.  But I gotta have it to get him registered from now on, even though they’re doing away with the inspection STICKERS.  You get a nifty CERTIFICATE you have to hold on to in order to get your registration sticker.  Man, this is getting complicated…

Anonymous
    Inactive

In Massachusetts you have get be inspected yrly. That is going to be a huge problem for me. I am trying to get my beast registered in WA as there is no inspection in the county I am looking at. It depends on the county and what type, if any inspection is needed. And our price just increased again for the 2nd time in 2 yrs, almost $40 for a car/truck. I wonder if they charge more for an RV? Will find out soon. I have to travel abt 35 miles for an inspection unless my mechanic knows of a closer place. 😥

Carol Holmes
    Participant

We had to have our rv inspected, so I called a local rv park near our ranch where the rv is parked for recommendations. They directed us to a small shop in the small town. Driving by, I thought, “Where the heck will we park it?” But we just pulled into a side street and they did the inspection there. Gotta say, it was pretty cursory, but then again, it only cost seven bucks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.