Show us your Rig

This topic contains 127 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Doug Schneider 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

And we still have this one, a home-built teardrop.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Marsha & Dewey
    Participant

I love these vintage trailers, so cute and all the rage.

Anonymous

I am so done with snow until winter so I hope I don’t see any when we head out next month. I was wondering if I should bring snowshoes since I’ll be traveling the top northern states. Have a blast!

2012 Open Range 391 RES TV is a 2007 Ram 2500 I have made a few Mods to the 5er like adding LED lighting to the control panel and I added a trailer hitch for a bike rack and I also added additional Black hose storage.

Attachments:

Attachments:

Anonymous

Nice James. Looks like you are staying for a bit. How is your weather? I know the weather is odd through America at the moment. Massachusetts won’t see much sun for the remainder of the month and where I was heading just got 2 inches snow so I may head on the lower states and do the higher part of the states on the way back.

Sprit that is our home lay over site. We actually have not hit the road yet. Our plan is rest the sticks and bricks and move to Helen GA to a campground there so we will be near our daughter and Grandson. We will take as many trips a year as we can save for We have 1 planned this year to Shipshowanna IN foer an Open Range rally at the factory and we are getting some warranty work done. The weather here is S GA has been warm to hot we have had a couple of 90 degree days but mostly staying in the upper 70’s. I am spending all of my time right now building a storage building for our keepsakes and furniture and we hope to be outr of here by the end of May if not before.

Attachments:

Attachments:

Anonymous

Hi Jim,

The shed is coming along nicely. You can stop by Mass. and build me one if you would like. My son-in-law is a carpenter but forever busy. I should be in Indiana in June, the latest, just passing through on our way to WA. We, Kaiya and I, are hoping to head out in 3 weeks. My van has decided to have serious mechanical issues. Glad now and not when on the road with my tag-along. I am waiting for those repairs, which should be completed tomorrow, and some items I need for the camper to be shipped such as a license plate bracket. Last thing I need is issues with the man in blue.

Have a great trip!

Spirit and Kaiya

Anonymous

Hello Roger,

That is a cute teardrop. Do you have a photo of the interior? Did you make it yourself?

Have a great night,

Spirit and Kaiya

Anonymous

Yes, I built it about 10 years ago when I found I couldn’t handle the cold in a tent trailer anymore. Based on a Snowbear frame I got from Canadian Tire, vertical walls are 1/4″ plywood on 2×2 frames, 1 7/8″ Styrofoam insulation, paneling inside. Windows, stabilizers fro J C Whitney, LED running and indicator lights. It’s basically a bed on wheels with a front storage compartment.

Anonymous

It is a great for a week or weekend Roger. I am pretty hands-on but not sure I am up for that task. Maybe some day…. I still tent camp now and again using a bivy or a 2 man tent. It snowed a wee bit this morn in Massachusetts. It is bloody cold out.

Anonymous

It wasn’t to great when you got a day of rain. Two people cooped up in a 4×7 box! We bought one of those screen tents after that, we would set it up over a picnic table and close the flaps if the weather got bad. Room inside for our chairs and cooler. We got a lot of comments on the teardrop.
    It only weighs 660 lb, so even a very small car can pull it. We took it all over Alberta, and a few trips into the northern states, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming. The small tires on it wear out very quickly, but they are quite cheap to replace.

Anonymous

Hello Roger,

What are you getting for a tow vehicle? And that is your weekender? Tired of screen houses? Yes, I bet a day or more of rain would be enough to drive many bonkers when sharing such a small space with the tear drop. I had an awful issue with small tires with a tow trailer while moving from Florida back to Mass. I got flat, saw it coming, tires were balding. Couldn’t find a tire for many miles, stayed on back roads. Found Pep Boys in Philly. They traveled to hixville to get me a tire and it took 6 men and over 8 hours later to put the new tire on. I didn’t even travel a mile, as soon as I got on the highway the trailer was engulfed in flames, (wrong size tire?). I nearly shut down the 8 lane highway during rush hour. I had 2 young children at the time and was pulling them out through a window. Small tires now scare me and it is the last time I towed anything.

Anonymous

I think there’s a little bit of confusion here. The teardrop is sitting behind my garage, we haven’t used it for 2 years now, going on 3. We have a 28′ Jayco on a seasonal site, and at this moment, nothing to pull it with. (Photo is in another post) I ordered a 2014 F150 with all the towing bells and whistles.

Our seasonal site is pretty basic, think of it as boondocking with electricity. We originally had a 1978 Security class C 21′, long story, I got it very cheap, and spent about $3000 on it getting it road legal again and all the appliances, plumbing, sealing the roof, vents and so on. First year, we toured around Saskatchewan for several weeks, loved having all the conveniences self-contained. Stumbled over the seasonal site on the net, really liked the idea of having a weekend getaway, and spent the first season in the class C. We liked it so much, and a great deal also stumbled over on the net, that we bought the 2012 Jayco, sold the class C to my boss, and are slowly modifying the Jayco to go full-timing. Our seasonal doesn’t open until May 1, so, I’ve got a mound of parts in the basement awaiting opening day. Hopefully, the snow will be gone enough to be able to get in.

We used to use the screen tent and the teardrop. Makes a great cargo trailer to haul all your stuff to site, and then set up.

John & Debi MacVie
    Participant

2013 Heartland Bighorn 3670rl, pulled with a 2012 Dodge diesel 4×4

Attachments:

Attachments:

Nice rig John.  How’s it handle?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.