Satellite ISP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Carl Hassler
    Participant

I am hoping to switch to a virtual office while traveling.  When I have mobile coverage I can use my phone as a personal hotspot and stay connected. However, if I don’t have mobile coverage I seem to be out of luck.

I’m wondering how the ISP through someone like Dish Network might be? Has anyone used this type of service? How easy is it to pick up a satellite when you are in a remote location? Does this operate on 12 volt DC or are the systems AC? How do you track the satellite? Are the systems reliable?

Kind regards, Carl

Ray
    Keymaster

Highly recommend this handbook
    The Mobile Internet Handbook – US RVer Edition

by http://www.technomadia.com/

They go right through all the options to stay connected on the road.

I think satellite works most places but is slower and more expensive, also has high latency which can be a problem for teleconferencing type stuff.

We use a MiFi hotspot from Verizon and out west there are very few places it doesn’t connect . Mostly National Parks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Carl –

First of all, thanks for mentioning our book, Ray.

Carl – the ISP that is provided through Dish Network is going to be land based – they tend to secure local agreements with cable companies, DSL, etc to provide that. The internet won’t be develiered via satellite, and probably not all that usable for while in travel – it’s intended for stationary folks who are subscribing to Dish rather than cable.

Satellite internet in general can be a good thing if you’re planning lots of time off the cellular map. They can be a bit tricky to learn at first.   We have a tripod system through Hughesnet, but we honestly don’t use it much anymore as cellular is now in most places we go. We’d actually be open to selling it if anyone is interested.

– Cherie

Carl Hassler
    Participant

Thanks for the input. I looked at your site and there is a lot of useful information. I downloaded your book. FYI when I clicked the Amazon link nothing happened. I ordered it from Amazon. I’m sure I’ll have more questions after I read your  book. Thanks again for your time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.