Pulling a Grade with New Ram 3500

Home RV Happy Hour Forums Rig Specific Forums Trailers Pulling a Grade with New Ram 3500

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Sherri Rabren 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Admin

A few people have asked, so thought I’d post a video from inside the truck showing it pulling a decent grade and coming down the other side.

Our truck is a 2018 Ram Cummins 6.7L with the AISIN transmission and 3.42 rear end gear ratio. I locked out 5th and 6th gear and climbed in 4th at 55 mph at around 1800 rpm.

I had the truck placed in tow/haul mode and the auto turbo exhaust brake on.

It’s pulling out 9500 lb Cougar fifth wheel trailer. Total combined weight is around 18,000 lbs

RVHH Chief Cook and Bottle Washer - LoveYourRV.com

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ray
    Admin

Warning! Long boring video with intermittent commentary. Don’t watch unless you are interested in seeing what it’s like to tow over the Tehachapi Pass in Southern California, enjoy the beautiful scenery and the sound of a Cummins 6.7L motor working.

It’s a long slow climb from 800 feet to 4000 feet with grades of 4-6%. It was a good test for the new 2018 Ram 3500 Cummins with the AISIN transmission.

The truck performed well efficiently holding highway speeds and passing slower traffic. By the end, the engine and transmission temperatures had barely risen.

RVHH Chief Cook and Bottle Washer - LoveYourRV.com

3 users thanked author for this post.

We got a 2016 3500 dually in August. It has the 6.7 and just love that truck. I giggled as I played with the tow mode and the exhaust brake…LOL… the simple things that entertain me, cant help it. Cant tell the trailer is even back there when pulling. The only thing I dont like is that DEF system and crappy fuel milage, but when it comes to hauling loads, I can sacrifice! 😎 I was so excited for you guys when you posted you were getting a new truck and I still am! The new still hasnt worn off for me and I have to pinch my self, except when the payment comes out then I slap myself…lol. But it’s a truck that will last for several years and probably be our last since it will more than likely put live us…hahahaha. Congrats on the truck, seriously. Looking forward to tips and tricks on the truck!!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Ray
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who viewed ThisX