Progressive Industries Surge Protectors and Honda Generators

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LolaandRush
    Participant

I installed the 50 amp. hard wire version after watching Ray’s installation. After getting into the install I seen where Ray had difficulties. Now back to the topic in Hand. I bought two Honda 2000’s and the parallel cables so I  fired up the gen’s and connected to rv and had a E-2 code. Seems the Honda’s make the E-2 code pop up and so I called the tech and he told me I need to purchase the gen. plug they have to correct this issue. So go look at there website and watch the video you will see what I mean.      http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!Testing-a-Generator-for-a-Floating-Neutral/c1371/55f1aa360cf2de902a82f4da

Ray
    Keymaster

I reviewed the guy in the videos eBook a while back Mike Sokol. Smart guy. – http://www.loveyourrv.com/noshockzone-rv-electrical-safety-ebook-review/

His website has a good post on the whole neutral ground bonding thing with a ton of comments – http://noshockzone.org/generator-ground-neutral-bonding/

I made myself up a bonded neutral plug using an old dogbone adapter. Also, using the bypass switch on the PI surge protector will work too, you just lose it’s protection capabilities but most generators have excellent overload circuits anyway.

LolaandRush
    Participant

I took a old plug and tied the white and ground together worked like a champ.

J J

I have the Honda 3000 and the same surge protector…. exact same results first time I tried to hook things up… Quick phone call and I too made up a cheater plug… must say the customer service is outstanding from progressive industries…

Thierry
    Participant

Quick question on the 50 AMPS surge protector.

Did you wired one “side” of the surge protector to your inverter and the other to the RV 110V panel.

Thierry

J J

Hi there😊

The surge protector is in line prior to the main AC load Centre. The inverter AC input is feed from the main panel through a 40A breaker. The AC output from the inverter is routed to a sub panel for distribution to those circuits being feed buy the inverter.

Larry
    Participant

Just returned a surge protector,they repaired it no charge,great service.

J J

I’ve dealt with there tech support a few times, your absolutely correct the service is outstanding.

Good to know! thanks for sharing.
    Of course mine is a 50a portable so I don’t use with the gennies cus they are just 30a. Loosing lots of power with the adapters.
    But have been thinking of getting permanently installed SP and also relocating the inlet plug to the side of the camper somewhere.
    On a more positive note, NOT using the gennies or the cord at all is the ultimate!

LolaandRush
    Participant

Yep just boondocking. Hopefully Lola and I will meet yall next Feb or march on our westward plunge.

Larry
    Participant

Just purchased a EU 3000 honda ,love the generator. Mounted it on front of truck with a torklift  lock-n load carrier and a krypton cable. Having this super quiet generator feels great ,that you can stop so many locations and have power.

Thierry
    Participant

SO that just bonding the neutral the wider vertical plug with the ground the round one in the middle with 12 or 14 gauge piece of wire…

Whaooo, going to HD to buy one of those plug to build my own neutral to bound connector for Rover II

Thanks

Thierry

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.