Overhead – Bunk or entertainment center?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Norma
    Participant

No posts in here yet, so I thought I’d start.  Which do you have in the cab overhead?  Bunk or entertainment center?  Or maybe something else? lol!

I have an entertainment center with a 32″ CRT TV.  Thinking of pulling it out, putting a flat screen on an arm and reclaiming the bunk…thoughts?

James
    Participant

Wow interesting thought. First removing that crt tv make sure you have help those buggers are heavy. Going to a flat screen would certainly reduce some weight. I would prefer the flat screen on a swivel mount, I seen a lot of ideas on pintrest on installing a larger flat screen. Stay away from plasma tv they have a tendency to get hot. Going this route would still give you extra storage.

As for a bunk. Our only daughter is moved out and living in san Antonio starting her life on her own. After she moved out we sold our 5th wheel that could sleep an army and decided to go to a simple class a with just a bed and a fold away couch since its just the wife and I.

Dawn Rodgers
    Participant

We have a bunk.  While it will be  mostly just my husband and I in the rig, we have had grandkids with us  on many of our shakedown runs.  If the weather is cold or rainy they have all picked out their private spots – one in the cabover bunk with the curtains closed.  One in the cab, with the lower curtain closed and one on grandma and grandpa’s bed with the door closed.  Grandma and Grandpa get the dinette and sofa!  That is unless there is a hot game of cards going on! When grand kids are not along, plastic bins of trip specific stuff go up on the bunk.  At thanksgiving we took the rig to the town where my brother’s group home is and took him with us to an overlook where we had Thanksgiving dinner together with my other brother for the first time in at least 30 years.  The bin of the good dishes, silver and linens  were in the bunk along with the pies etc.  What a hoot!   Right now it is filled with the toppers for the sofa and dinette to make them better to sleep on and other bedding for the grandkids.

Ray
    Keymaster

Not sure if you have satellite or not Norma but..
    If you upgrade the TV to a new LCD Flatscreen, make sure it has a built in OTA (Over The Air) digital tuner, that way you have the ability to enjoy free local digital and high definition channels through a roof top antenna.

Norma
    Participant

Yep, I bet that booger is heeeeeavy!! lol…  I didn’t know that about plasmas…thanks for the info!  and more storage is always a good thing…even if it’s for bulk TP from costco…hahah

Norma
    Participant

No kids means no grandkids.  Nephews all grown.  BUT I do have a newly married sister that wants to go camping for a week in summer.  So if I don’t have the bunk, I’ll have to let them have my queen while I sleep on the couch!  NOT happening!!!   lol!

Norma
    Participant

No satellite, Ray.  I did buy this.   I haven’t installed it yet, though.

Would I still need a tuner on the TV?

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, that will bring in the stations really well, but the TV needs to tune them. Most new sets have the built in OTA digital tuners but some cheap ones leave it out, thinking everyone is on Sat or cable nowadays and they can keep the price lower.

Ours is a 32″ Samsung hooked to our Windguard roof Antenna, when we setup I just enter into a menu on the TV and scan for channels and it memorizes them. Usually what we get is the local network stations like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX but they come in in nice clear HD.

Norma
    Participant

I am OH so glad you told me all this!  Without it, I might as well string some tinfoil from the roof vents!!

We have an overhead Bunk – That’s our ” Master Bedroom “. We have folding stairs to get up and down. We like not having to “Make the bed at night. Visitors get the sofa bed or dinette. We have our kitchen in the back – no bedroom.

Norma
    Participant

I really thought about putting my Master up there too…and pulling the bed in the back to make an office/craft room.  My brother talked me out of it because of resale issues.

James
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry to much about resale. As old as lurch is no matter what you do you wont get your money back. A thought would be made the bunk a bed, Turn the dinette to a free standing table to use as a craft table and dinette. pull the back bed and make it a living room area couch, recliner tv so forth. As for a table for your computer they sell those ram laptop stands that bolt under your drivers or passenger chair. they swing around so they can be used in the chair or moved away. I seen someone use one of those hospital tables for when your bed. He had fabricated it to fit his needs better. I am thinking of doing something like that so the wife will have her own table while I drive

Norma
    Participant

oooo…James, GOOD idea!  When you see Lurch’s insides, I hope you have some more!!!

Just curious, What did you wind up doing, Norma? Did you say on another thread?- Nancy :unsure:

Norma
    Participant

Still haven’t done anything, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to reclaim the bunk and put the TV on an arm.  Never know when you’ll have visitors!  (and they ain’t getting MY bed! 😀 )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.