New RV Batteries, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Rhonda
    Participant

Hello!  I have some pretty heavy duty questions and I’d appreciate some feedback from fellow RVers!   I’m about to upgrade the house batteries in my motorhome.  The fellow that had it before me must have run them down too far too often because they just won’t hold a charge.  My current house batteries are two 12 volt “no maintenance” wet cell flooded lead acid batteries.  I’ve done a little research and because I hope to boondock a fair amount, I’m thinking that 6-volt AGM might be the better option because they charge up faster.  (However I’m open to replacing them with the less expensive 6-volt regular wet cell flooded batteries.)  I do not have solar, but would like to get batteries that I can use if I decide to add some solar panels in the future.  My rig (35′ Winnebago Journey) currently has a multi-stage charger (can’t find enough information in my documentation to tell exactly what kind or whether it is three stage) and a 1000 watt inverter, but there is no panel to moniter the charge state.  I think I probably should upgrade both the charger and inverter at this time as well, but I’m somewhat overwhelmed in researching all the options.  If I “go big” and get a 2000 – 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter, I’m pretty sure I’ll need to upgrade the charger/converter.  Ideally I’d like to be able to run my 1825 watt hair dryer for about 6 minutes, or a microwave for 5 minutes, but it may not be worth the cost or battery drain of a 3000 watt inverter just for those big-use items).  I’m weighing whether to get an inverter with a built-in charger/converter…  I’ve looked at a Magnum with a built in charger/converter, and a Go-Power that is only an inverter.  Perhaps other brands are just as reliable?  Would it be less expensive to get separate components (i.e. inverter with a separate charger/inverter?)  As you can see, my phase of the learning curve is not very high up the curve!  I don’t want to just walk into a RV dealer as ask them to tell me what I need.  If the scope of my questions are too big for this type of forum, them perhaps people could recommend a trusted soul that does this kind of work that I be able to get in touch with, and who could give information in a helpful manner (i.e. not make me feel stupid).  Sorry for the long post!  Thanks in advance!  Rhonda

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Hi Rhonda, If you would like to go over your system you can PM me here on RVHH.

I install full solar charging/power storage systems for off-grid RV’s.:good:

Happy Trails!!!

Eddie — Mobile Homestead Solar Services (252) 475-8034

E-mail — wyglonekseal@aol.com

Ray
    Keymaster

You’re in good hands with Eddie Rhonda. He has installed a ton of systems for boondocking.

The more batteries you can squeeze in there the better. I saw a big difference when I went from 2 to 4. The sun doesn’t always cooperate by shining for us. 😉

Cheers Ray

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Thanks Ray!

Hi Rhonda, I’m sorry I haven’t got back with you yet. We had to dump all of our files and pictures because some rotten computer geek in his underwear put a virus ransom on our computer thru a FedEx non delivery e-mail. Don’t open anything you can’t identify 100%!:Angry:

Also I have been installing a 450-AH system for a nice couple in their 16′ “Caned Ham” TT.:wacko:

I will get back to you soon, I’m hunting “Computer Geeks” in their “Underwear” !!!:Bomb:
    Happy Trails……….Soon!!!!!! :good::bye:

Rhonda
    Participant

Thanks Ray and Eddie–I really appreciate your help!

Ray–are your batteries regular lead acid, AGM or lithium? What brand did you get? Thanks!

Ray
    Keymaster

[quote quote=31275]Thanks Ray and Eddie–I really appreciate your help! Ray–are your batteries regular lead acid, AGM or lithium? What brand did you get? Thanks! [/quote]

I now have 4 Interstate six volt lead acid. I’ve had to stick to a frugal budget building my boondocking system, upgrading things as I can afford it. They have been a good bang for the buck though messier to deal with and require more maintenance than AGM.

Rhonda
    Participant

Ray, I’ve heard excellent things about Interstate Batteries.  The thought of getting 4 AGM batteries almost makes me break out in hives!  Not to mention an inverter…  Just want to have enough power to bookdock and possibly look forward to adding some solar.

Rhonda
    Participant

Ray, I don’t know if you follow old posts, but I just left Eddie Glonek’s Wyoming homestead with a brand new solar system.  I don’t know how I ended up with the whole kit and kaboddle but things just evolved.  I decided to go for it, and I couldn’t have found a better person  (both as a human being and as a fantastic and knowledgeable installer!)  I’m thrilled!  I’m on a mission to see how much of this fall trip I can do off the grid boondocking! Thanks for your recommendation of Eddie!

Ray
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Rhonda, nice to hear you’re all hooked up and ready for some boondocking adventures!

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Ray thanks for hooking Rhonda up with us! I only hope you get to meet her this winter “Boondocking” down in the SW. She is one of the nicest people you could ever meet!

Also she is a photography buff like Anne!

Happy Trails…Pal!!! :good:

Rhonda/Eddie,

So, what system did you end up with and why? Just curious about some more specifics for planning a future system for myself. How has it been working for you so far?

LolaandRush
    Participant

If you’d like to her about ours call us 252-341-6779. We like to brag on it.

Rhonda
    Participant

Hi! After agonizing in indecision for months because the cost of what I wanted was so high, I finally bit the bullet and went with a great system.  I got 4 Full River AGM batteries, a Magna 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger and 4 Kyocera 145 watt solar panels.  Even with the rather low sun these days, I’m usually up to 100% charge by noon.  Because I’m very careful not to discharge the batteries below 80% full, I still have to manage my electrical usage in the evening. Unfortunately I must plug in a CPAP machine that runs all night, so I can only watch a couple of hours of TV or work on my computer for several hours (plugged in) and still end up with enough charge in the morning to run my hair dryer and toaster in the morning.  I know, I know: poor Rhonda is really suffering!  I’m delighted with my system and even kind of enjoy the challenge of juggling my usage to get the most out of it.  I can always toast my bread in a skillet on the stove and wear a hat!

Larry
    Participant

Sounds like a good setup,like those kyocera panels.

Rhonda
    Participant

Yup–from what I understand, you get a lot of bang for your watt!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.