New Brunswick to Calgary in September

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Peter & Suzanne
    Participant

Hi guys, we are contemplating heading to Calgary and retuŕning  in late  September. As i àm not familiar with these roàds (mostly from toronto and westward) I was wondering if anyone had recomendations on which route through the Great Lakes Region is best. Google maps shows 3 choices, 1, north of Superior, 2, thŕough sudbury, Sault Saint Marie into Wisconsin and Minnesota and onward and 3, southerly, passing Chicago south of Lake Michigan and onwards. I am tending towards choice #2. Any help to make a decision would be so appreciated. Have a good summer and stay between the ditches.

J J

Well, I’ve done this trip 10 to 15 times. If I had the option I would travel through the US on I94 crossing at Buffalo. Head north again in Montana. I would not take the Canadian route around the lakes unless there was an absolutely compelling reason.

Peter & Suzanne
    Participant

Thanks JJ, I guess i94 is a better ride and well travelled. Cutting off on to i90 after Chicago seems like good route also, i can skip Milwaukee this time around and save some time. Does that make sense or is i 90 less prefered.  Thanks for your input.

J J

Yes you want to break off from I94 at Chicago. Take I94 and follow that to I80 west, then take I80 west to I355, go to northern suburbs. Exit off that onto I88 toward Aurora, then follow that to I39, that will take you to Rockford and back on I90 towards Madison and Wisconsin Dells, your home free then. I know it sounds a little complicated on paper but its really not. This saves you going through the busiest part of Chicago. You will find the I94 through Indiana at the bottom portion of the lake to be very busy so just stay cool and everything will be just fine. I’ve done this route many times and it is the best way around the bottom portion of the lake.

JJ

David and Marilyn
    Participant

Hi Peter and Suzanne

I live in Tottenham North of Toronto and have also made the trip both ways.  I will always take the northern route through Canada when I have no other reason to go across the US.  To me its the choice of a beautiful driver up into the boreal forest and across the incredible northern Lake Superior Shore,  with a great visit thrown in at the Bush Plane Museum in the Sault.  A chance to celebrate Canada.  Yes the US route is a little shorter but it is an urban route which takes you through huge cities.

Its our 150th go enjoy Canada all the way.

Stephen C Keller
    Participant

It has been years since I had been to Canada and that was Victoria and Vancouver by boat from Seattle. But I can say it is well worth traveling your own country when ever you can. You are always welcome to the USA. LOL Personally I have been to many countries with the military but have not traveled my own. Something I hope to remedy now that I am retired.

Stephen C Keller
    Participant

I should add that I forget that we are from different countries and usually thing that we are all one big happy family.

Peter & Suzanne
    Participant

Hi everyone, thanks for the feed back.

In the time interval since my posting, I studied various routes and options on ”RV Trip Wizard”. When I saw how close I was passing Elkart Indiana I considered knocking another thing off my bucket list. So I arranged a factory tour for my wife and I to see the assembly line of our Rockwood TT. So south of the lakes on our way out to Calgary and north on the way back.

Again thanks for the input, I’ll let you know how it went.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.