My own Movie/TV Show Streaming service

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ray and Maria
    Participant

My setup has 2 routers, Campsite and RVwifi. The RVwifi is for my own internal network that has a Roku and other devices (tablet, phone etc) connected to it. This allows me to stream Movies/TV to my Roku from my Tablet which acts as a server (Plex software). The Campsite router connects to the camp wifi if available. Adds a layer of security by isolating my internal network from any campsite. The RVwifi router is then connected to the Campsite router. I don’t stream through the Campsite network just my own internal network. I have converted over 1400 movies and 350 tv shows to a home server so I can copy to the tablet for streaming. My android tablet that has the Plex Client has a function that allows it to act like a Plex Server. On my home Plex server I just select the movies or TV Shows I want and choose the sync option. After the movies are Synced to my Tablet I can then watch them on the tablet via the Plex app or use the Roku to stream from the tablet to the TV.

I use the Campsite network to check e-mail, maps etc. The phones and tablets would connect to the RVwifi router so they can access the TV and movies I stream (they have a Plex client as well). They can also access the Campsite network to get e-mail, web pages etc.

From my experience most camps don’t have adequate bandwidth to stream movies. By having my own network and server to stream movies/tv from we can enjoy TV anytime including while driving (at least the kids and wife can). I don’t have to worry about running over my ATT data plan etc.

This setup works well. Before we leave I sync movies and TV shows to my tablet to carry with me. Just have to select what we want to take with us. After we return I can replace the synced content with new stuff or leave the ones i have if we want to watch them again (kids have favorite movies). My network is isolated and the kids can plan video games head to head via the RVwifi. I am in the process of setting up a small portable server on an Intel NUC device to expand the capacity.

My next add on to my RV will be a fiberglass retractable pole with a wifi antenna to help boost campsite signals. Pole should be here this week. Now to get the omni-directional antenna and cable.

Ray
    Keymaster

Cool, sounds like a sweet setup, especially for those rainy days. wasn’t too long ago when RV’s had VCRS and you would rent movies from the camp office/store. Now the whole store is on a small hard drive and in HD. Amazing.

Do you have any problems with network interference in the RV parks now that everyone is using routers and hotspots?  I imagine there are a lot of different signals bouncing around now. I know some RV parks don’t like the WiFi repeater antennas now, as they can mess up the campground’s own repeaters.

James
    Participant

Can someone make a video with all this so I can see if I can do this

Marsha & Dewey
    Participant

Boy I’m with you James all this sounds wonderful, but way over my untechy head. Give me a how to video!

Ray and Maria
    Participant

Ray: no interference that I can tell since the RVwifi is local in the RV so it will always have the strongest signal. You can always adjust the channel to avoid conflicts. I plan on putting an external antenna so I can grab signals that are farther away with better signal strength. The key is that I carry my own Netflix style streaming with me. Granted I have to have the movies copied over from my DVD’s but since I spent a lot of time doing that for my home setup it’s a no issue now. With Plex I have my library with me instead of in a dvd folder or cabinet somewhere collecting dust.

James/Marsha & Dewey: I will see about putting a how-to together. With today’s routers it isn’t that difficult, just takes little planning. You will still need a computer to hook up to you Campsite router in order top configure it to connect to the campsite network but once you have it setup it’s pretty easy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have converted over 1400 movies and 350 tv shows to a home server so I can copy to the tablet for streaming.

How did you convert these? I have a fairly large DVD collection, it would be nice to put them onto an external hard drive instead of hauling the lot around.

Ray and Maria
    Participant

Here is a good guide to ripping a DVD so you can stream or play on another device. Key thing to remember is that these files will be big so you will need a lot of space depending on how many you convert. I have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device with lots of space (7x4TB drives). My current collection takes up about 10 Terabytes of space out of the 22 Terabytes available. I invested in a NAS (Thecus N7510) to have a dedicated device for all my storage and to run the Plex server software for my home network. You can use just about any system to run Plex either as a server or client. There are even TV’s with Plex installed.

http://www.dvdmedia-help.com/rip-stream-dvd-over-plex-to-roku-3/

You might have top play with the settings to get the quality or size you want. In my experience the main issue I had was making sure movies that had subtitles get the subtitles added to the ripped file. I would have to go back and redo the rip and encoding to get the subtitles. It’s a pain to watch a video and then come across a part that is in a foreign language without subs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the lead, bought the Borosoft DVDripper, works great! Even on my old Toshiba, it takes about a third of the playtime to rip. Another winter project, I’m going to be so ready when we finally get on the road!

Ray and Maria
    Participant

The main reason I did the conversion to digital was that I wanted to be able to watch any of the videos in my collection without having to dig through a bunch of DVD cases or folders. I found that I had some duplicates, must have bought the second copy after forgetting I had the first.

If i get nostalgic I can watch an old movie (like watching Princess Bride for the hundredth time) or do a marathon of a TV series. We are watching the Pirates of the Caribbean movies this week. Last week we did a Marathon of  The Transporter Movies. With TV series we ca re-watch some of our favorites from the beginning (think we have watched the 3 Stargate tv shows at least 3 times not to mention the various Star Trek series).

Bottom line is that we always have access to all our content no matter when and with ease.

Roger: takes time and patience but it’s worth it in the end

Anonymous
    Inactive

The added bonus is that you have a complete list of your movies, and no way for the disks to get damaged. We mostly watch on the computer any way, so I’m ripping to .wmv format as it plays back the best. Going to get a 4 terabyte external hard drive this weekend.

James; the borosoft program is extremely easy and intuitive to use, only 3 steps to rip the dvd.

Ray and Maria
    Participant

I would use MP4 format, works on more platforms than the wmv which is a Microsoft format. I use the m4v format to stream to my Roku.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The MP4 output plays back with a black border on all sides on my laptop, I tried several different “flavors” with the same results. The WMV plays back full screen, with widescreen discs having a top and bottom black bar. Probably the difference between Windows and Apple environments.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Finally finished converting all my DVD’s to digital format! Been working on this in my spare time since last fall, now I can take my entire collection with me on the road. Music is next, the drive is still 3/4 empty.

Ray and Maria
    Participant

I know it’s a lot of work but the benefit of having a collection available anywhere you go is well worth the work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, without your lead I wouldn’t have got this done! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.