Inverter install

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  CaptnRob 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

CaptnRob
    Participant

So I pick up my new rig this weekend. The dealership is installing 2 150 watt Zamp panels and 2 220 AH Trojan 6V batteries but I will be installing the inverter myself because the dealerships installation cost was astronomical. I decided on a Kisae 2000 watt pure sine inverter (http://www.invertersrus.com/kisae-sw1220.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxMG1BRDFmu3P3qjwmeMBEiQAEzSDLgpIjO7SvwVirDR1Rfz7WTzgAfyjMwsH5pxFQffc3PMaAu5L8P8HAQ) with remote switch.

I may just install the inverter and plug in the shore power to it but I would have to be careful to make sure the converter is turned off and would have to be sure not to use AC and other high-draw appliances.

I could also wire up some outlets that are dedicated to inverter power only. At the very least I would need one behind the entertainment center in the kitchen slide and one in the bunkhouse to power my computer and work station.  My Reflection 5th wheel is completely enclosed underneath so how hard would it be to run the wires? Are there usually access panels installed or would I have to cut holes (!) to fish the wires? Even if I do not install the outlets I will still need to run the wires for the remote switch.

I am experienced with residential and marine wiring but don’t want to start cutting holes in my brand new 5’er…

Craig
    Participant

I am also very new to solar and RV electrical, but you might want to also consider an automatic transfer switch to control the source of AC power between shore power and the inverter. That would allow all your individual outlet wiring to all remain intact. The transfer switch could then sit between your AC power sources and your power control center.

John
    Participant

Hi CaptnRob,

I’m looking to put some solar on my rig and wouldn’t try to install the stuff myself, but you seem to have experience. I wouldn’t rely on anything from a forum on a life safety issue like this. One good source is Jack Mayer’s web site, where he details the electrical options on the inverter and how same would funtion with transfer switches and your existing panel/shore power. I will say that, unless your rig’s physical layout precludes it, you don’t necessarly need to install new recepts IF you can use a sub panel and extend the circuits from your main panel into that new sub panel, then hook the inverter up to the sub panel. This is a broad overview, but I’d discourage an “in-line” inverter install. A more proper way is to use a sub panel, as Jack describes. Not all trailers are the same and sometimes physicality dictates some options.

I’d read Jack’s site, then hire Eddie to install your inverter. I saw where you were conversing with Eddie.

CaptnRob
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I have checked out some info already on Jack’s site.

While I am comfortable with basic wiring – routing wires, installing junction boxes, lights, and outlets – I will not be taking on anything like transfer switches and sub panels myself. For starters I will opt for as simple as possible and eventually maybe I can hook up with Eddie and have him do it right but unless Eddie plans a trip to NW montana sometime in the next 3 months then that just won’t work. I start heading east in June.

John
    Participant

Just curious, what did the dealer want to install it?

CaptnRob
    Participant

Just curious, what did the dealer want to install it?

More than it was worth for me.

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Hi CaptnRob, WE live at our Ranch in North East Wyoming from late May to November.

Call anytime (252) 475-8034

Thanks John!

Happy Trails!!!

CaptnRob
    Participant

I didn’t know that Eddie – We’ll be passing by that way in mid-June on the way to visit our daughter in Omaha.

Ray
    Keymaster

Speaking of RV electrical safety and “life safety issues” I highly recommend this book by Mike Sokol and his website the No Shock Zone

http://www.loveyourrv.com/noshockzone-rv-electrical-safety-ebook-review/

RVHH Chief Cook and Bottle Washer - LoveYourRV.com

CaptnRob
    Participant

Speaking of RV electrical safety and “life safety issues” I highly recommend this book by Mike Sokol and his website the No Shock Zone http://www.loveyourrv.com/noshockzone-rv-electrical-safety-ebook-review/

Thanks Ray!

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Hi Craig,  I run ours with an independent inverter supply line with its own outlets so we do not make a mistake powering up the wrong loads. Also we can run our inverter loads off solar and use the RV shore power outlets. If the park is only 30-amp service and we need to run the dryer or air conditioners. With many RV’s having slide-out’s down the full length of the rig’s sides, :good: it is very hard to install this type of system. The use of a auto- transfer switch helps with a RV where you can’t add extra outlets. Some like to use smaller inverters for each sections of the RV. ( like the TV, Kitchen, computer station, ect.) There is no one size fits all set-up, you need to know what you need for power usage and form-fit it to your RV platform. As John said using a pass thru inverter is a risk, if the inverter was to die on you it may keep your hole rv out of power. The less of the two evils is a auto- transfer switch, or a manual transfer switch/sub panel.

What ever you do make good clean,connection. Don’t make short-cuts on your wiring, it is a small savings that could cost you your RV or even your life!!!

Happy Trails!!!:good:

CaptnRob
    Participant

How hard should it be to run the wires? Do I have to cut holes or are there access panels usually?

This is a Grand Design and the underside is completely enclosed and insulated.

Here is how Eddie installed mine in the front bay. He ran the wires along the floor joists into the cabin. Very clean. I don’t know if there is an access point in yours.

Some newer rvs are equipped for things like this.

Complete blog post http://lovethervlife.com/boondocking-bonanza/

-Kimberly, Wagon Master - LovetheRVlife.com
    "Let's Make a Point To Leave This Place Better Than When We Came, One Life at a Time."

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Kimberly Flores. Reason: Pic too large

CaptnRob
    Participant

Ok now that I have my rig at home I can see underneath pretty well. I think I can run wires along the frame easy enough to install 4 or 5 outlets dedicated to the inverter only. At least one will have to be in a slide – how do I ensure the wires don’t get in the way of slide operation?

CaptnRob
    Participant

So I finally got my inverter installed and working. Ran two circuits off it one down each side for a total of four outlets. Inverter is now powering tv and Satellite receiver and the desktop PC/Monitors I need for work. Included a general purpose outlet in the kitchen area for incidental power needs. Haven’t tested it yet while boondocking but I’m sure with only 225 AH of storage I’ll need to recharge often even on sunny days but it’s a start.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.