How I'm approaching acquiring a solar system for the old boy…

Home RV Happy Hour Forums Solar Power How I'm approaching acquiring a solar system for the old boy…

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by LolaandRush 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

$2000 for 600 ah’s that no deal.

it is if it’s Lithium Iron Phosphate. Lead-acid batteries should be relegated to the past. Keep in mind, your 600AH of lead acid battery is, in fact, 300AH. Please don’t compare apples and coyotes.

It’s funny how many jump at the next “Newest”/”Biggest” thing? I’m not against, nor for large Lithium battery banks at this time. I’ve installed Lithium batteries on smaller trailers where it made seance to do so. To say HQ lead acid “Wet Cell” batteries are “Relegated to the Past” is a statement of a follower not a leader. Many new and better technology’s have made a better and stronger “Wet Cell” power storage battery for “Renewable Energy” applications. The main reason many “RVer’s” like a  Lithium battery is the wight aspect. Most of the battery Mfd. still have not got into the Lithium market yet, there is most likely a reason for that. Lithium is a very hard found “Rare Earth minerals” that take tons to the pound to find and produce over lead acid cells. One more fact to put you mind, in most “Off-Grid” solar systems lead acid “wet cell” batteries are #1 used, with AGM’s as a second for application. As I said I’m not against, or for large Lithium battery banks. I think it is foolish to believe something as strong as a good renewable energy battery system like the “T-105 RE” wet cell battery to be “Relegated to the Past” that is just not living in the real world. We have been using our 900-AH of “Wet Cell Trojan T-105RE’s” at a 95% usage for 5-years now,  and have had prefect performance from them. We spend approx. 350 days a year “Off-Grid” not hooked up to shore power, but harnessing the suns energy.  You can sit in front of all the stats on the computer as long as you wan’t to, but nothing can replace the real world test of these systems by those who are “Really” using them “Off-Grid” for a prolonged time.:scratch:

Happy Trails!!!:good:

2 users thanked author for this post.

Before you pull the trigger on solar, have you ever boondocked for an extended period of time? It’s not for everyone, especially in the American southwest desert areas. It’s one of those places you either love or hate, depending on your expectations, personality and concepts of beauty. It would be sad to spend the time and effort to install solar and then end up in a RV park over the winter!

I agree, not for everyone. Try it first. I did with 2 2000w gennys, soon realized if I was to do this boondocking stuff full time, I’d rather put the $ in a renewable energy source and not the RV parks bank and the gennys gas tank

Some miss the people, where a park would fill that need.

-Kimberly, Wagon Master - LovetheRVlife.com
    "Let's Make a Point To Leave This Place Better Than When We Came, One Life at a Time."

1 user thanked author for this post.

I have two 2000 watt Champions, and was quite glad to have them along last winter. City of Rocks, NM. Three days of overcast, temperatures a little above freezing, furnace running around the clock. Solar output close to zero. Fired up one generator to recharge batteries, make coffee and so on. Went for our hike, came home and fired up the gen again at lunch time. It won’t rev up, only idles, stalls anytime load is applied. Swap out for second unit, no problems with that one.

Later, at a warmer location, dismantled the gen and tested. Found the throttle stepper motor had failed, only a $18 part. Getting the part proved to be the greater challenge. We were staying at Coyote Howls in Why, AZ. Ordered the part, and it never arrived in the two weeks we were there, later found out the campsite refused the shipment. It wasn’t until we stayed at Pilot Knob RV by Yuma for a month that I was able to receive the part after re-ordering.

Having redundancy in systems is what prevented us from having a bad winter experience, and kept us able to continue boondocking.

It’s funny how many jump at the next “Newest”/”Biggest” thing?…To say HQ lead acid “Wet Cell” batteries are “Relegated to the Past” is a statement of a follower not a leader.

How nice you hide the ad hominem. Didn’t work. If you think I’m a follower, join my band. You’ll see exactly what the “newest/biggest” thing is there.

Finally, if you don’t want me to answer your question, just say so in your posts. I like having more power available than I need. Keeps the tanks and senders happier. It’s ok if you attack me, but please, expect to get exactly what you give. GGoANRF.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Old_Man.

Before you pull the trigger on solar, have you ever boondocked for an extended period of time? It’s not for everyone, especially in the American southwest desert areas. It’s one of those places you either love or hate, depending on your expectations, personality and concepts of beauty. It would be sad to spend the time and effort to install solar and then end up in a RV park over the winter!

Really?  REALLY? Thank you for the insult to my intelligence, SIR! May I have another, SIR?!?!

I did not just fall off the turnip truck, SIR!. I am familiar with the desert SW (San Francisco born and raised, lots of time in the desert, winter and summer, SIR!

I could accept that question from if you were my father, but you’re not, SIR! Otherwise, please don’t insult me, SIR!

This year I’m preparing as much as I can, and growing some FINE annuals in the garden. SIR!!!

I’m sorry for the the misunderstanding Old Man, that was directed to the battery company’s and solar sales that put out all the bogus fancy glossy brochures not you directly. I was talking about how the RV/solar battery industry always runs to the “Newest”/”Biggest” thing with out long term “real world” testing.

I do stand behind my statement—- To say HQ lead acid “Wet Cell” batteries are “Relegated to the Past” is a statement of a follower not a leader. This is directed to the statement not you personalty.

It’s funny how big of a stink is made over battery banks, but little over solar panels, and the most important part, good quality wire, connections, and proper sizing and installation. This is one of the most over looked things in the set-up of a good working solar power storage system. There will be a time that most components will need to be replaced in your system, most of your wiring should last a lifetime if protected and installed correctly. In the end your RV is yours to do what you want with, I hope all works as you wish.:good:

We can keep it “Happy” here for the “RV Happy Hour” Ray has made for us.:yes:

Happy Trails!!! :bye:

3 users thanked author for this post.

As I’m Canadian, sorry, no intent to offend. We had no way to know what your experience range was by the comments on this forum or your profile. 7 sirs!! In Bold!!  :unsure:  I must have really pissed you off.

I’m sorry for the the misunderstanding Old Man, that was directed to the battery company’s and solar sales that put out all the bogus fancy glossy brochures not you directly. I was talking about how the RV/solar battery industry always runs to the “Newest”/”Biggest” thing with out long term “real world” testing.

I do stand behind my statement—- To say HQ lead acid “Wet Cell” batteries are “Relegated to the Past” is a statement of a follower not a leader. This is directed to the statement not you personally.

It’s funny how big of a stink is made over battery banks, but little over solar panels, and the most important part, good quality wire, connections, and proper sizing and installation. This is one of the most over looked things in the set-up of a good working solar power storage system.

There will be a time that most components will need to be replaced in your system, most of your wiring should last a lifetime if protected and installed correctly. In the end your RV is yours to do what you want with, I hope all works as you wish.:good:

We can keep it “Happy” here for the “RV Happy Hour” Ray has made for us.:yes:

Happy Trails!!! :bye:

Panels I’m with you except for the voltage. but I’m going with 24 volt panels. 60 amp charge controller. I’ll buy them when  Clyde is forced to get rid of the tariffs. Will make the move then, or sooner if the correct deal comes along. I’m always searching, though, If the  are right deal comes along. I’ll pounce if I can. Panels are commodities now, prices will drop, tariff or no tariff,

I  can wait for the right situation, at least for now. Solar GOOD. Generator necessary, unless it’s an Onan. Hey, if my rig comes with a genset (Onan), :D :D :D  anybody interested?

We can discuss “follower,” in private.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Old_Man.

As I’m Canadian, sorry, no intent to offend. We had no way to know what your experience range was by the comments on this forum or your profile. 7 sirs!! In Bold!! :unsure: I must have really pissed you off.

Yes, but you’re hardly alone. Seems some here can insult others with impunity. Like every other web forum. Geez, I sure miss Usenet.

As we say in the south Looks who’s calling the kettle black.

We became FullTimers July !6th, 2016

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who viewed ThisX