Homemade Mosquito/Flea/Ant Repellent

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Norma
    Participant

Ingredients:

• 1/2 litre of alcohol
    • 100 gram of whole cloves
    • 100 ml of baby oil or similar (almond, sesame, chamomile, lavender, fennel etc)

Preparation: Leave cloves to marinate in alcohol four days.  Stir every morning and evening.  After 4 days add the oil.  It’s now ready to use. Gently rub a few drops into the skin of the arms and legs. Observe the mosquitoes fleeing the room. Repels fleas on pets too.

[Well I’m for sure trying it.  If it doesn’t work, I can drink the other half of the alcohol, right?]

Larry
    Participant

Looks like it works. Last year I learned my lesson the hard way. I was at hunting Island S.C. ,I was throwing a cast net for hours in a salt pond.,catching bait . Some extra large  sized shrimp and other bait.  I got about a thousand no see um bites,itched like mad for a few days. Lesson learned always use something that works on those buggers. I was so engrossed in finally getting good with throwing the net I ignored them feasting on me. I hear everglades are tough with mosquitos at times. We were at Janes Island 2 weeks ago,bugs weren’t bad yet, but were warned about a nasty green fly that will be arriving shortly with th skeeters, Want to camphost there someday ,guess I will get a  bug suit if it gets too bad.

Ray
    Keymaster

Them No See Ums are one thing I didn’t like abut the South East, worst I found were in Jekyll Island, Georgia, little ba%$%rds!  I never did find much that kept them off me, and they could come through the RV screens. Itch like mad for days. One more reason I like the desert in the winter, very few bugs.

Larry
    Participant

Ray I hear ya, It was brutal for days,itching when hot water hits it temporary soothes it but then it intensifies . While wife was shopping I was sitting on a bench outside raking my legs with my nails trying to get relief. I heard they can sneak thru regular screen. Wont make that mistake again.

Ray
    Keymaster

The best thing I found for the itching was bleach ,after trying anything I could think of, little bit on a swab and hold it on the bite, gave me a bit of relief.

Norma
    Participant

The worst?  Chiggers…

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Hay Norma, my Mom and Sister got into the Chiggers/Red Bugs/Heathens from ”””’. Thay wiped 151 rum on the bite areas. I’m not sure if this killed the bugs or made thelm drunk!?!? For sure my Mom and Sister were fealing no pain from there bites after spliting the bottle with those nasty critters.

Happy Trails!!!

Larry
    Participant

If  it ever happens again will try bleach,thanks Ray.  Never had the pleasure of chiggers,and hope I never do. I have heard their real bad.

Norma
    Participant

hahahaha…Eddie, good idea!  The only thing I’ve ever found to keep the itching down to a tolerable level was Absorbine Jr.  It’s the only thing that allowed me to sleep the three nights I suffered.  Tried everything else including the clear nail polish.

I was traipsing around an old graveyard out in the sticks and the grass was really high.  Note to self:  this is where chiggers live.  lol!

(I was too busy watching for rattlesnakes)

Attachments:
    Larry
    Participant

I joined a hiking group 3yrs ago ,have seen about 10 rattlers on our hikes. Before this never saw one.  A lot of our hikes  go through  rocky mtns in PA.  Goldel Eagle Trail is where we almost every time out see a few. Also Pinnacle trail near Hamburg  Pa. Also Breakneck ridge near West Point.NY. I don’t mind them as long as I see them first. When a fellow hiker is coming the other direction and says theres a big timber rattler 200 yds up the trail. It gets you wondering how well he judges distance,keeping your eyes peeled in all directions until you see it.

Norma
    Participant

Oh yeah!  Definitely want to see him first!

Christine Cain
    Participant

I’ve heard of this homemade repellant before, did it work?

I live in the south (ish) east. I hate putting all those harsh chemicals on (like deet) every year. I’ve tried a couple other creative, homemade solutions, but nothing’s worked as well as Deep Woods Off.

Norma
    Participant

It worked great for me, Christine!

Christine Cain
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Norma! I will have this whipped up in the next few weeks. Skeeter season always sneaks up on me…..

Joel Lockridge
    Participant

Interesting idea!  I’ve lived in Alabama almost all my life.  The mosquitoes may as well be the state bird!

And as for the bleach comment, I grew up on a farm.  When you drove the tractor over a yellowjacket nest, you’d know it.  We always kept a small bottle of bleach in the tool kit for daubing on the stings.  Works!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.