Hiked Angels Landing Trail in Zion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ray
    Keymaster

Last time I didn’t attempt it, this visit to Zion NP I had to giver a go. Today was great weather, low wind, cool and sunny so I did it! Took about 4 hours round trip and man the views were awesome!

http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/angelslanding.cfm

Angels Landing is one of the defacto classic hikes in Zion and one of the most stunning viewpoints you will ever experience, but it’s not recommended for anybody with a fear of heights. Starting at the Grotto Trailhead, the hike to Angels Landing follows the longer West Rim Trailbackpacking route up and out of the west side of the main canyon. Angels Landing is unique fin-like mountain formation that juts out to the center of the main canyon. The trail follows the narrow spine to the final viewpoint roughly 1500 feet above the canyon floor. This hike will take between 3-6 hours; your legs will burn, your knees may shake, and the view will take your breath away!

Here is a few pics, took my video camera with me so should have a YouTube clip in a while.

Attachments:
    Rob Church

wow, what an amazing set of pictures. I would have never known of this place, thanks for sharing.

Ray
    Keymaster

Ya, it was really cool, just uploaded my video clip from my hike on YouTube this evening, enjoying some fast free WiFi right now so though I better take advantage.

http://youtu.be/zyn7jT7Y5-I

Larry
    Participant

Nice hike.

Absolutely amazing.  Thanks for doing the video for us “less than agile” folks.  Definitely want to go there and at least get to the first look out point.  If we do make it to the top do they do helicopter rescue?

Ray
    Keymaster

I’m sure they would, they must get a lot of lost hikers in Zion, just like Yosemite it has huge back country portions and easy to get lost in all the canyons. I imagine many folks fall and need rescue. Probably pretty easy to get plucked off Angels Landing. 🙂 Or bring a parachute!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am overly jealous! I am hoping I can do it some day. The Sarcoidosis is now active in my lungs again and worse so I may not be able to. You should try climbing Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire. In one section you have to climb a wooden ladder to get to the ledge.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.