Hello

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike and Lesia
    Participant

We are getting excited about our upcoming retirement. We plan on retiring in early 2019, selling the house and hitting the road full time. We’ve been going to RV dealers on weekends, shopping for trucks, and looking at lots of RV ads on the internet. We have decided on a fiver and truck.

Last weekend we went to the RV show here in Kansas City. Yesterday (Saturday), we went out looking at trucks. We ended up bringing one home. It’s a 2006 Chevy 3500.

2 years seems so far away, I want to go tomorrow!

JimBob
    Participant

Hi, I;m JimBob and am new. I understand the excitement and the waiting. We wanted to do the same thing when I turned 62. “Wife” is disabled but loves to take trips & soft camp. Unfortunately, I got hurt & disabled @ 56. But still had the dream & trying to make a go of it still.

Time will pass faster than you think, even though it seems like it takes forever to pass. Smart move to start getting ready early!

Dave Schramm
    Participant

hello from Philadelphia,Pa. My name is Dave and my wife’s is Sheryl.

we’re looking into getting our first RV in the near future,I’m on YouTube as much as possible.learning all I can about them.

Mike,nice looking Chevy.good luck with it.

Dave and Sheryl

Sherri Rabren
    Participant

My husband and I are full time. We went full time 3 years ago. I started reading forums and read a lot of books. There is a lot of mind over loading info out there! I subscribed to a lot of full timers You Tube channels. Love your RV was one of the first I found and Ray was incredibly informative as well as quick to reply with answers!

You will find as you go along, the is no exact science to this life. You will be come as proficient as the Military in Adapt and Overcome…LOL. The beauty to this is it’s as easy as you want! Not to mention fun, fun, fun.

I think the hardest part is finding the right trailer and NOT over load your trailer. Staying with in the proper weight limit is very important especially for your and everyone else safety!

Stephen C Keller
    Participant

Definitely take your time looking. Try to find the one that is you. There are many available and in different configurations but look and see what you like and what you don’t. I kept a small notebook with me and wrote down what I liked and what I wanted. Then the wife and I talked and made changes as we went along. We didn’t go with new but did find one that was not used much bit had been taken care of. Then we can make changes as we wish to fit us. That is what we are doing right now while it is early spring here in Iowa. We will be heading south next winter. By the way we also are disabled. Been sixteen years for me and now I switch over to full retirement and the wife has been for 14 years but she has another 14 years to go for 66. Believe me the hardest thing is wanting to do something and knowing it is going to take longer to do than it used to. Be sure to enjoy everyday that is for sure. It does get better.

JimBob
    Participant

Well, the straw that broke the camels back happened last week. Anyone living in the phoenix area has seen how high rental rates are soaring. Last time was $150 increase. Now looking at another $125. In 2 1/2 yrs. Combined, our income only went up $20. And it’s not that nice a place. We’ve been told no more storage allowed and motorhomes have to go or be impounded. And not being able to afford the added expense with just the disability payments, the motorhome has to go. We even named it ” ‘ol Lindy “. But we did get to meet a nice bunch of people on this and some other sites. Keep yer wheels ‘a rollin!

Stephen C Keller
    Participant

Sorry to hear that JimBob, My wife’s uncle and aunt live in Mesa and the last time they were back they said that it was happening like that. We were warned to not bring the camper with us hooked to back of the truck or we would probably receive a ticket. I have a hard time fathoming this but now it seems cities are making rules that really harm more than help. Hopefully you can come up with a way around everything so you can enjoy the class C even more. Good Luck 😀

B-)

JimBob
    Participant

It seems that for being such a low income state, the powers that be in our state and local government want to make it appear that we are a higher income more elite place. Example: My brothers former employer (himself a millionaire) believed that only homeless people go camping! When I inquired, after calling 3 times with no answer or return call, I got an answer (big argument with what I believe were threats actually) about why the motorhomes weren’t allowed and we’re threatened with having them impounded, I was informed that it is because people live in them and that is not allowed! Huh? I have yet to see this happening on the streets, parks, shopping centers ( haven’t found a WalMart that even allowed overnight parking) etc. where people were living in them. We hate phoenix and all surrounding areas. Only here because of the grandsons and a few other relatives. My brother and other relatives and several friends I grew up with have moved away and no one wants to return. What happened to the western frontier heritage?
    We made a deal for trading straight across for a partial conversion van come the 1st.
    Then we’ll go CAMPING in a WESTERN FRONTIER style using the van and my dodge 4×4 truck.

Ray
    Keymaster

I don’t think it’s Phoenix, in particular, I tend to avoid big cities altogether. A high density of humans tends to ruins things. 😉

JimBob
    Participant

I agree. Never really lived in a big city until we moved here when I was in high school. Tried a few small towns in ariz., colo. & nev. but things didn’t work out. Doesn’t help that maricopa co. (which phx. lies within) is the fastest growing county in the nation.

Mike and Lesia
    Participant

We found, and bought, our trailer! It’s a 2010 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT. It has a small garage area for our motorcycles. We’re quite happy, have to wait for things to dry out a bit so we can bring it home.

I forgot how to put pictures here, but uploaded some to our media area.

Mike and Lesia
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.