Heading from Key Largo, FL to Bar Harbor, ME

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mary and gary
    Participant

Greetings fellow RVers. We have been in Marathon FL since October 1, but will leave here April 1 and have one month the make our way up to Bar Harbor for a summer workamper gig. It is our first time with an RV on the east coast. We are struggling with the route up the east coast, would really like to see the sights but fear the traffic, tunnels, tolls, and general nightmare of the big cities.  We are members of Thousand Trails, Coast to Coast, Passport America.  Any suggestions on routes in or around the big cities, and also suggestions for parks we should stay at?

Ray
    Keymaster

When we visited the east we came down from Maine to Florida, it was fall and we followed the leaves changing. We headed through Vermont and New Hampshire and into upstate New York, then used Interstate 81 to head south along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, then headed back to the coast down highway 77 through the Carolina’s to Charleston then followed the coast down to the Keys. We avoided any tolls and the traffic was decent. Though you may to see more things around the east coast big cities. It was just to busy and congested for my tastes.

Sheila
    Participant

We followed the coast line 2 years ago when we went to Virginia, and then through Pennsylvania and up avoiding the bigger cities. We stay mostly at Passport America parks or Walmarts, Cabelas, etc when we can. I can look back at our map and see which PA parks we stayed at along the way.  Right now we’re in Georgia working our way to Virginia, basically in between the coast and the mountains.  We were considering going through the mountain area, but a lot of campgrounds aren’t even open yet, and it’s a little warmer further south.

Gary&Susan
    Participant

Greeting! We are new to the rv world! We plan on spending our first winter in key west or one of them any way. Where are some good campsites you stayed at? Have fun traveling! Susan and Gary

mary and gary
    Participant

Thank you all for your suggestions, we are doing the coastal route up to DC ane then inland to avoid the big cities and tolls. We will hit NYC some other time, and I did hear there is one park Liberty Marina in NJ which is an excellent place to stay to visit NYC, 10 minute ride to Manhattan.
    Gary&Susan, the park I would recommend for a long term stay in the keys is Jolly Roger. In winter, it is a quiet little village where many snowbirds return yearly and throw great fish fries, potlucks, chili poker runs, etc. Cost is less than most in the keys and it is nice to be half way between Key Largo and Key West to make an easy day trip to either end. They have a new saltwater pool andnice waterfront snorkeling, boatramp, harbor. They are already nearly booked for Jan-Mar 2015 so call asap.

Ray
    Keymaster

The Keys will be expensive in the winter, small amount of land and everyone wants to be there.
    We stayed on Sunshine Key at a Thousand Trails park for a week when we visited and it was $399!
    There is a beautiful state park with cheaper rates – http://www.floridastateparks.org/bahiahonda/
    I hear though that it gets reserved way in advance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.