Ford f250 Crew Cab with tool box and fifth wheel hitch

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Lorne
    Participant

We bought a fifth wheel and are now searching for a truck.  I’d like to get a Ford F250 (probably 2011 or so) Crew Cab with a short box but I really want to have my tool box in there as well.  It sits at the front of the box and won’t extend above the rails but will extend 22″ back into the box.  I’m worried that it will interfere with the fifth wheel hitch extending that far back.  Anyone with a similar setup have any advice?  If it won’t fit I’ll have to go with an extended cab long box.

We have a standard box GMC and we put in the Pull-Rite automatic Super Slider hitch.  It works real well.  I would recommend taking a look at it.

Just curious: why a shortbox?

Would it be possible to mount your toolbox to the rear of the trailer?

Laurence
    Participant
    Lorne
    Participant

I would like a crew cab to take people hiking with me but a crew cab + long box = very long and hard to park truck.  This will be my daily driver when we are not travelling hence wanting to keep it somewhat able to fit into parking spots around town.  So for that reason its either going to be a crew cab short box or an extended cab long box (the are within 2″ of each other in length).

Lorne
    Participant

thanks for the link to etrailer.  That’s helpful info.  Now I just need to figure out where the front rail for the hitch would sit.

J J

Hi Lorne, I have a 350 short box super cab. I don’t have a toolbox up front but do have lots of space for my Honda gen, it’s at least 22 inches wide. I am using a Reese Elite 18K hitch and have no clearance issues at all.

Lorne
    Participant

Thanks J J.  That’s great information for me.

Tom Thomson
    Participant

Hi Lorne,

I have an F250 with 6 1/2ft box.

From the front of the box, to the closest rail lip is 25 3/4inch.

The wheel wells come slightly forward of the rail, but as long as your toolbox fits detween the wells, you shoud be good to go.

Hope this helps

TomT

Lorne
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to measure that Tom.  It looks like it would be very close but should fit.

Charles Bradford
    Participant

I have that exact set up and will post a pic once I figure out how, but I have no problems with the setup.

Charles Bradford
    Participant

OK – it looks like I can’t just post a pic from my computer to this site – BUMMER

But, I have a 2011 F250 crew cab with a tractor supply 22 inch flush tool box at the head of a 6.5 foot box.

There is no interference with the 5th wheel hitch.

Email me and I can send some pic bradford309@gmail.com

Lorne
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to get some pics and post Charles.  I emailed you.

Just a suggestion. When you need to park a truck in a crowded parking lot, back into the space. I’ve been driving long bed, one ton crew cabs for a long time and you can turn much sharper in reverse. Plus you can actually see the rear corners of your truck in the mirrors.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.