Drinking water pump stuff

Home RV Happy Hour Forums Repairs and Maintenance Drinking water pump stuff

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Al 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Have any of you ever had to replace your fresh water pump? I ask because we’ll be mostly boondocking in our rig. Arizona and extreme Socal in the winter (Bagdad, Amboy other places along 66), comfortable places in the summer, with lots of sun, a place on the water and world-class trout fishing. I am headed to Henry’s Lake my first spring.

I’ve watched it being done on YT and it seems pretty simple but there are a couple questions to ask:

1. To what extent will I be able to repair the existing water pump? If the motor is strong, the rest of the parts (at least with another Shurflo) appear to be readily available. So, repair or replace? What do you do? I like doing things on the el-cheapo, so for me, that’s a no-brainer. However, the time may come when the pump don’t pump (motor) and from what I’ve been able to tell the motors are not user-replaceable but anyone with experience will know better than I.

A replacement, then, is in order and will be ordered or bought (if it fails while we’re ‘docking at Coyote Howls, just cruise up to Quartzite). Chances are, when we get the rig, I’ll install a new pump, rebuild and keep the old one in reserve. Or buy one needing repair (but not the motor) on Ebay and rebuild both units, install the best one and keep the lesser in reserve, as a spare. In part because I don’t want the cleanliness or lack thereof of the previous owner affecting us. What do / would you do?

2. Do any of you use an accumulator to smooth out the starts and stops of the pump? Seems like it might be worthwhile.

3. How about the inline water filters? These will be must-have for us and several spares will be carried. I figured I’d ask how well they work, and if they make a difference on the taste of certain water supplies (southwestern AZ, anyone?). Even if they don’t affect the taste (we WILL have bottled water in the desert), if they keep one insect out of the delivered water (as in tank to faucet) while making it cleaner and clearer, it’s another no-brainer.

So, hardy road-trippers, what say ye about all these things?

Ray
    Admin

I upgraded our 3 chambers OEM Flojet pump to a 4 chamber Shurflo. http://amzn.to/2Ejz8Ip

Made a difference in more even flow and less noise. I didn’t add the accumulator tank but know a few that did and like it. If failed and I was stationary on city water I would probably dick around and try to repair it, but if it failed on the road I’d jam a new one in there and be on my way as they aren’t that expensive.

I kept the old Flojet and use it now to top up the fresh tanks out of jugs to help extend our boondocking time if desired.

I recently added a 2 stage filter system,  been using it on freshwater fills for a month or so.  http://www.loveyourrv.com/clearsource-rv-water-filter-review-install-mod

I plan to report back after our boondocking season ends in late early April and see how much crud it blocked.

RVHH Chief Cook and Bottle Washer - LoveYourRV.com

Al

I’m a newbie & won’t even have my trailer until the end of March. I’m having Dunesport in Mesa built a custom mini toy hauler & they allow customers to provide parts or they’ll source special ones. It’s the only company I could find who’ll do this.

Their standard pump is a 2-chamber Flow Max and they’re listed on Amazon for $63.98 with a 2 year warranty.

I found another brand – Seaflo – that has 4 chambers and delivers the same GPH & pressure for $49.99 so that’s what I sent Dunesport. It also has a 4 year warranty so even if it’d been a little more expensive it’d be worth it.

The more chambers a pump has the better. It reduces “shuddering” dramatically when the water is at a trickle and is easier on the motor. If you don’t already have one I highly recommend a pressurized accumulator tank.. It acts as a shock absorber so the water flows better and the pump works less. Most of them are relatively small (.75l / .02 gal) and inexpensive (under $30) but for $40 you can get an 8 l / 2 gal tank which, had I seen it before today would have shipped to Dunesport. One thing to consider is they need to be mounted with the pressure valve (like an inner tube stem) on the top and only pressurized with a hand pump. An air compressor could rupture the inner bladder.

Seaflo pumps are geared toward the marine industry and you get a lot more pump for your money. Depending on the size of the RV I’d go with the largest pump/accumulator combo that I could cram into a space. One trick I saw was to mount the pump on a block of dense plastic foam to reduce the noise.

I saw Ray’s review of the water filter system and while I like it it’s too expensive in my opinion. I had the same basic setup in my house in CT with a 440′ deep well with lots of iron. When I built the house in 2005 it only had the sediment filter which had to be changed at least once a month. I added a second filter which removed even more iron & it was changed once for every three primary filters.

I’ll build the same type of system that Ray is using but for a lot less money. Most of the parts are available at Lowe’s or HD & I’ll use ball valves on each end so I won’t have to drain it when breaking camp. My trailer will have black diamond plate aluminum around the sides so I’ll install a couple of riv-nuts through the plate & use SS bolts to hold it in place while filling the tank or connected to water at a full service hookup. My biggest problem was finding .5 micron filters which will filter out the really small but nasty bacteria. I found Clearsource filters on Amazon (a 5 micron sediment & a .5 micron carbon block) for $30 so along with 2 or 3 clear housings & a few fittings I’ll have basically the same thing as the $275 unit. I have to admit though, their metal housing is very nice!

I’ve been following Ray for a while now & think he & I share the same incurable disease – “Modificitus” – we have to modify everything we own. Many of my guns have been customized & I’m having a new pistol built to my specs. It’ll be one of a kind & has taken months but it should be completed about the same time as my trailer.

Hopefully my first post has contributed something valuable to the community & I hope to catch up with some of you on the road.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who viewed ThisX