CB Radio for the RV

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ray
    Keymaster

Anyone using a CB on the road? I’ve heard it’s good for listening to the truckers when the highway is backed up. They will chatter to each other advising what’s going on.

Amazon has a pretty good deal on right now for this Midland model. Just plug it into the lighter socket.

Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio

I have a cobra which I used on my trip down the Oregon Coast…because of the mountains I didn’t get a lot of reception…I’ve heard others say that they got rid of theirs because of the language they heard on it from the truckers…As a Canadian, it is better/ cheaper for me to have a CB rather then using a cell phone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use a Cobra CB that I keep an ‘ear’ to the weather channels. When NOAA has an announcement it will barge right in with whatever the weather warning is such as high winds or heavy rains.

Good for reporting accidents also.

ray lough

Ray
    Keymaster

Thanks Ray, the NOAA weather thing is a really good feature

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, we are former OTR truckers who now travel in 2 different RVs together as we travel from job to job. We have been looking into installing CB radios recently. The challenges we have faced are more in that the CB antenna needs to have a BIG solid metal surface to get decent reception. Most RVs (ours certainly does NOT) have a large enough metal area to ground the antenna.; therefore not good reception. Terrys’ Freightliner that we tow the work trailer with can install the antenna on the metal mirror “ears” and then run the cable in. But, most RVs are fiberglass – so we haven’t found a good way around that.

We do have a hand-held CBs radio – but they are useless unless we are within a mile from each other. We can not get out enough to communicate with other CBers. And when we get 2+ miles away from each other, we are out of touch completely.

These challenges have been confirmed by 3+ RV shops. So, we are back to square one looking for a good way to install a CB in the RV.  Tiffin installed the CB antenna mount on the right side of the RV which sets the antenna up for being whacked any time we are close to a tree. The antenna should be installed on the LEFT side of the vehicle (which is where most big trucks have them installed) for the same reasons.

We are on a FB group that was stared to hopefully encourage more RVers to use CBs – who picked channel 13.  some RV CBers who do off-road vehicle riding use Channel 13 with that hobby. If you’d like to join that group is called RV CBers.

Dale
    Participant

Ray I know this is an old post but I am looking at getting this Midland 75-822 40 channel hand held cb that you mentioned. I have heard that hand held cb’s don’t have much distance in a vehicle but this one can be hooked up to a antenna that mounts on top of my trucks roof and has the same output (4 watts) that a normal size cb has.I like the weather NOAA channels as well. Back in the early 70’s when cb’s were very popular I had a Midland 23 channel and it worked quit well when traveling and getting up to the minute traffic and road condition information that you can’t do with a cell phone or even a GPS.

Larry
    Participant

I have a cobra with severe weather alert. I have found it very useful,have avoided many backed up situations by listening. Without one your just sitting in a big clog of traffic not moving wondering if your stuck for 1hr or 8 hrs? Just walked out to truck in rain to check wanted to mention K-40 Plus is antenna all wired into fuse box,it works long distances. Wasn’t sure which name it was. The magnetic antennas I started off with,but never happy with them.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Larry.
    Dale
    Participant

I have heard the K40 is a real good antenna and will look into getting one. Yes there have been a few times that I was stopped in traffic and wished I had a CB to find out what was going on ahead of me so I might take the next exit if it looked bad ahead.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.