Black Water Treatment-How Long?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Slim Lundeen

I have read somewhere that you don’t really want to empty your black water tank till it is 3/4 full; so you don’t get the Pooh Pile of Doom. But on weekend trips I don’t think I will come close to getting it 3/4 full specially when it is just me and Ginie. Sooooo, in your experience how long can I go before the treatment such as WaleX Bio-Pack, RV Digest-It, Happy Campers Toilet Treatment, or Tan Techs RX quits working? Or can I just leave it in there? Any other treatments you like better? Thanks! Slim

LolaandRush
    Participant

Look up the Geo method for rv’s.

Ray
    Keymaster

You could add plain water by flushing a full bowl a bunch of times until 3/4 or more, then dump her.

I really like Happy Campers, but I’m currently testing out TankTechsRX it’s supposed to be one you can leave in and it keeps working since it’s a living culture of good bacteria, most are only good for a few weeks.

So far boondocking with the TankTechs I’m noticing more odor than Happy Campers which was great at odor removal, but could be that it is breaking down old layers of film of the walls, not sure yet. I’m going to give it a few more weeks.

rvplus2

We have been using TankTechsRx for a month now and are happy with its performance. Including odor control. In our case, the odor is way less than with Happy Camper.

My main concern with TTRx is their suggested strategy of never fully emptying the black tank in order to keep the biota growing and working. I get the concept but when you boondock as much as we do, it would not be desirable to “break camp” to dump a full black tank. Well, they say you should only bring the black tank level down from full to 2/3 full. I don’t know about the rest of you boondockers but it wouldn’t take long to be back to full – maybe 6-7 days.

So we are managing black tank levels somewhere between their suggested strategy and a complete emptying. That allows us the freedom to stay put in our location longer and still maintain some level of the TTRx biota in the tank. Specifically, I’m keeping the tank valve open for 15 seconds when emptying.

I could make their strategy work if we had FHU most of the time – fairly quick to just run outside and open the valve and then close it after about 7-8 seconds.

Wow, you actually have functioning black tank gauge?  :Poo:

What’s that like?   :unsure:

rvplus2

Not sure who you addressing Kim but I’m willing to bet not a single one of us in this discussion thread has an accurately functioning tank gauge LOL.

The TTRx people claim using their product will clean those sensors and give you an accurate gauge. I’m not holding my breath!

Slim Lundeen

I suppose when we start full time in a year or so it would be problem keeping it at 2/3 but right now it probably wouldn’t be a problem. There is a dump station on the way back to our house on I 5 so we can always stop on the way home if necessary. Saw your video Ray and waiting to hear how your testing turns out. Haven’t quite decided on a product yet. I hear that RV Digest It is the least toxic but doesn’t work well in extreme temperature. Happy Campers more toxic but works well in all temps. Any more thoughts??

James

I have used Tank Techs RX from the time I bought my RV. (2 years)

I put 2 oz in the black water tank and 1 oz in the gray water tank.

I leave it in till the black tank is full then I empty and flush the black tank and gray tank.

Then I start over. I find it controls the order fairly well. It does a good job at breaking down the solids and TP. I have never seen any solids coming out of the black tank while empting.

I have lately been checking out the Geo Method when I have the grandkids with me. This is because of the amount of water and sewage they generate doesn’t allow the Tank Techs RX time to work properly to break down the sewage before I have to empty the tanks.             To many showers with all the kids. You can check out the site at this link.

http://www.tanktechs.com/

Hope this helps. James

James

I agree the tank sensors  in RV’s are pretty much useless. My sensors have never worked properly. I look down the toilet shoot to see if it has come up to the shoot yet. That is when I know it is full. Otherwise it will show full on the panel anywhere from 3/4 to 1/2 full.

James

Slim Lundeen

Geo Method

Is this the Geo Method that I have heard mentioned? Or is it something else.

Thanks James for reporting on your use of Tank Techs RX. Still don’t know what I am going to do but all the help has been wonderful I am Grateful.

Slim

Ray
    Keymaster

Just to through another one on the chemical mix.  :Dizzy:

Pure Power is the one recommended by my friend Doug over at Drainmaster. I have yet to try it, though. http://drainmaster.com/rv/products/mini-view6

Slim Lundeen

Well you know, if it’s blue it’s got to be good.

Slim Lundeen

So has anyone been using the Geo Method; softener, soap, and bleach? Does it work like people say? I can understand the bleach killing the smell but how about the rest of the stuff. Hmmmmmm? Guess I don’t have to make a decision yet; I still have plenty of Thetford Blue Goo.

Ray
    Keymaster

[quote quote=41895]So has anyone been using the Geo Method; softener, soap, and bleach? Does it work like people say? I can understand the bleach killing the smell but how about the rest of the stuff. Hmmmmmm? Guess I don’t have to make a decision yet; I still have plenty of Thetford Blue Goo. [/quote]
    When on full hookups I have good success with copious amounts of water plus the occasional dose of Borax detergent and Calgon water softener. Boondocking though seems to demand something a little more potent due to the waste concentration levels as we conserve water.

J J

Hi Folks;

We have been using TankTechs RX since the RV was new and have been very happy with the product. As for leaving very little wast in the tanks, I have been in this situation a few times and have had no issues with leaving the tank to its own devices until its close to full. Last summer we went about 6 weeks before we emptied the black tank. We had no unpleasant smell, in fact according to  TankTechs its better to leave the black tank to work a little rather than constantly emptying.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.