Best 5th wheel (in your opinion) for full time living?

This topic contains 90 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)
  • Author

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

The dealer is another tricky situation.  Since we’ll be living in the 5’er and traveling full time we will almost never be near our dealer.  Grand Design doesn’t bat an eye at sending a mobile RV tech to you to work on warranty items.  Remember, Grand Design was started by Keystone execs who sold off Keystone and started a new RV company the way they thought it should be from scratch.   The Montanas are nice but are bigger and heavier than I really want.

Elena & Tyler
    Participant

I am new to this forum, but just read this entire topic. There is great information on here!

So, if you went with the Solitude, how are you liking it? Is it working for you as a full timer?

◦•●◉✿Remember happiness is a way of travel. Not a destination. ✿◉●•◦

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

We haven’t bought it yet.  Life has taken a left turn so we’ve had to delay.  Still going with the Solitude just have to wait a while longer.  We really like the floor plan and space in the Solitude models.  We’re still going back and forth on the length though. 🙂

LolaandRush
    Participant

What about Augusta-RV? We spoke with them and they have a 33 ft model now.

We became FullTimers July !6th, 2016

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

Never really looked into Augusta.  I’ll check it out.

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

Just checked their website and I don’t see anything less than 36 feet.  Spendy too!

LolaandRush
    Participant

We call them and they told us of a new unit.

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

Got it.  I’ll just wait and see when they update their website.

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

I see Grand Design changed their website so the images I posted on page 3 are gone.  They came out with another model that we like too.  So we’re really trying to decide between these two so far…

Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Grand Design Solitude 380GK
    Grand Design Solitude 380GK

Sharon
    Participant

Scott, thank you for this forum. We will retire in 2017 and want to go full time 5th wheel, so your research has been a marvelous resource. One question for anyone: we’ve been told that it is an engineering no-no to have something as heavy as a refrigerator in a slide out. We’ve also been told that the demand from buyers for luxury and more space in rvs in general has led to a lot of poorly constructed models in areas that can’t be seen. On either of these, does anyone have an opinion or experience?

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

I wish I knew the answer to that.  I’m curious to see what people say.

LolaandRush
    Participant

We have recently walked through a Augusta-RV. Call and spoke to Deb there. They now make a Ambition thats a Model 33RL  which measures around 35 ft. They built it like you want and you buy it factory direct from them and stay there at the business site for a few days and check it out to get any bugs if there are any. They train you some on the components.  We are new as of 2014 and bought a 2014 280RLS  Cougar from Keystone. I know Ray has been lucky with his but we have had a hell of a time with our Cougar and Keystone has been poor in wanting to make right what they half ass threw together. I’m not any different from any other RV’er but if you want to here a horror story then call us and we will read  the list of things we have had to take it back for. It almost fills a hole sheet of paper, and that’s one line for each problem. As my friends Eddie and Aileen told us its all of them. Good Luck in your choice’s but stay away from Keystone if I were you, and for darn sure do not by from Camping World. That’s another joke. Make darn sure you walk over that RV you finally choice to buy with a fine tooth comb. I mean go around it 10 times inside and out. Please look it over to much. Check out the dates on the tires and make sure there not to old. Eddie and Aileen have heard me cry (literally) about ours  for a yr. now. Recent happening, had to replace front grey water tank, hole front cap had to be repainted account clear coat had about pealed off, and last but not least control board for the second time went bad and had to be replaced.

Sharon
    Participant

Lola and Rush, WOW. I’ve heard others complain of Keystone, and, yes, we know many companies with good reputations have become sloppy. Thanks for the Augusta recommendation. We are stuck in Indiana working this year but starting June 2017 hope to make trips to check out factories and Augusta will definitely be on our list.

Drew

I’ll second the Grand Design 5th wheels.  After talking with other owners and doing some online research- I find they are more focused on the customer as far as quality.  RV News also had a very nice write up last month.  The Solitude is the top of the line.  I don’t own one but if I were going to sell my class A, I’d strongly consider one.

Scott VanArtsdalen
    Participant

I agree.  I’m pretty much set on Grand Design.  They actively monitor their Facebook page and I’ve seen them reach out to customers time and time again to help get problems resolved.  I wish build quality was better but I think that’s an industry wide problem.  It just pays to do a very thorough pre-buy inspection and nitpick every item you can.  Then camp nearby and see what breaks and then have the dealer fix those items as well.

And that’s a good point too, the biggest problem with RV’s today seems to be after sales support by the dealers.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.