Advice needed

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  CaptnRob 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Eddie
    Participant

What a nice group here, thanks for having me. I am just setting up for boondocking. Right now I just have a portable GoPower 120 watt setup. I am thinking of getting two Renogy 100 watt panels with their 40 amp MPPT controller . I have watched Ray’s video several times as he installed his so now I am ready to install mine.{lol} I already have my inverter wired directly to my two Crown 220 6 volt batteries and I plan to leave that as is. The part i’m not sure about is once I have everything up and running do I need some sort of disconnect when I plug back in to shore power?

Ray
    Keymaster

Welcome! No, the charge controller will figure out if it needs to be charging the batteries or not even with the converter doing it as well. We were hooked up for 4 months this summer and the solar was connected the whole time, no problem. Likely save the park some power. 🙂

RVHH Chief Cook and Bottle Washer - LoveYourRV.com

Eddie
    Participant

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear!

Craig
    Participant

Hi All,

Great information and nice videos.  Ray had suggested I check the forum out and I am glad I did.

I have a new Rushmore Franklin that sits on a family camp lot I have in Maine.  We have no utilities to the property.

Last summer I quickly learned way too much about all the things that ran my 2 12 volt interstate batteries dry over the work week. (Dual gas refrigerators, two AC controllers, carbon monoxide detector… You get the point). I resorted to emptying the frig and turning all power off.

I basically figured out the hard way that if I want it to sit down at the pond (that is what we call camp) that I will need to get some serious solar before next summer. A lot like what you have installed for boondocking. I do have a built in generator by the way but I am not there to run it during the work week.

So… My first question is to Eddie.  Do you by any chance ever get to Maine in your travels and can I hire you to install a system?

My other question is to everyone… I would like to get some advice from all of you that are living it.

What would you install for watts? My math is telling me I probably need at minimum 450 and perhaps 650 or so?

What would you buy and have you looked at the Deluxe RV packages from Zamp Solar?

Can my existing batteries do the job? Or do I need to look at upgrading to a different configuration as part of this? Has anyone looked at the few lithium 12 batteries on the market?

If you could buy any solar controller.. What would it be?

Do I need an inverter now if I have the generator and basically use the camper for weekends?

Should I install some form of battery “gauge” that provides more intelligence on draw etc. ? What would you buy? The campers leveling system tell me volts already.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide.
    Also, if any of you have not made it to Maine.. You should give it a shot.

Craig Doering

LolaandRush
    Participant

Well we have 560 which is 4-140 watt Kyocera’s, 6 -6 volt batteries and a Magnum 2000 watt invertor and its too a 100 watt charger . If you want Ray put the list of products Eddie used on the install at Lov your RV.

We became FullTimers July !6th, 2016

Ray
    Keymaster

Well we have 560 which is 4-140 watt Kyocera’s, 6 -6 volt batteries and a Magnum 2000 watt invertor and its too a 100 watt charger . If you want Ray put the list of products Eddie used on the install at Lov your RV.

http://www.loveyourrv.com/rv-solar-power-system-detailed-install-advice-and-tips/

Should I install some form of battery “gauge” that provides more intelligence on draw etc. ? What would you buy? The campers leveling system tell me volts already.

Best to install a battery monitor gauge first thing. One that will tell you the total amp hours used in an average day, that way you can size your system for your needs.

Bogarts Trimetric is a very popular one – http://bogartengineering.com/content/trimetrics/

Craig
    Participant

Thanks Ray and Rush for the advice. I like the idea of getting the meter. I wasn’t aware there were meters like that. Much appreciated.

Dan
    Participant

I am installing a new battery system using 2 6volt batteries.  However, I want to keep the provide 12 volt battery.  I know I should not parallel them.  However, when I install a solar system, will I need two different solar controller because the batteries are different?  Can you run two different solar controllers off on one set of PVs?

Ray
    Keymaster

I am installing a new battery system using 2 6volt batteries. However, I want to keep the provide 12 volt battery. I know I should not parallel them. However, when I install a solar system, will I need two different solar controller because the batteries are different? Can you run two different solar controllers off on one set of PVs?

You could install a battery switch and charge the banks separately or get a controller designed to charge two banks separately like this – Sunsaver Duo

CaptnRob
    Participant

[wrong forum sorry]

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  CaptnRob.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.