5th Wheel landing leg repair/replace experience?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Wade Bissell
    Participant

Hello all,

I may have a landing leg replacement in my future. We have a 2009 Grand Junction 335RL 5th wheel and on hitching up for our most recent trip, the landing legs were making a squealing noise. Having read Ray’s post on his replacement, I believe the noise is coming from the jack-screw that moves the legs up and down. In researching what I needed for a replacement, I was looking closely at the legs and noticed something I think is pretty shocking. I’ll attempt to explain below.

As Ray mentioned in his post, it’s really kinda scary to think the entire weight of your RV is being held up by the legs making contact with little tabs welded to the frame. The legs have two such tabs and what appear to be stamped metal that is pushed out leaving the hole in the body of the leg  and they are positioned below the welded tab of the RV preventing the leg from moving up when the weight is upon them. Here is a picture.

The scary part of my discovery was that the bottom such tab was not making contact with the welded tab on the frame so it appears only the top tab is supporting the weight.

This is on both of my legs. At first I was kinda freaked out but it has been that way since 2009 and there is no deformation or other indications of metal fatigue. Is it possible that this is ok? Or do I need to fix this? If I am to fix, my assumption is that this bottom tab should look like the top one, that is, so the leg can’t move up when the weight is upon them.

Anyway, looking for your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Wade

• This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Wade Bissell.
    Wade Bissell
    Participant

I guess I don’t know how to insert pictures as my links didn’t work. Sorry. If someone can tell me how to do it, I’ll try again.

Ray
    Keymaster

[quote quote=44188]I guess I don’t know how to insert pictures as my links didn’t work. Sorry. If someone can tell me how to do it, I’ll try again.

[/quote]

This video should help out

Wade Bissell
    Participant

Here are the pictures from my initial post. Thanks Ray!

Attachments:
    Frank & Whitney
    Participant

Hey Ray, watched the video on your landing gear replacement and was reading Wade’s post. Have you drilled greasing holes into your landing legs yet and how far down from the top did you drill yours ?

Ray
    Keymaster

[quote quote=44686]Hey Ray, watched the video on your landing gear replacement and was reading Wade’s post. Have you drilled greasing holes into your landing legs yet and how far down from the top did you drill yours ? [/quote]

No, since mine are so easy to remove, I’ve decided to take them out and add grease to the worm gear all over using a plastic tube. I believe @eddie added zerks to his, maybe he can post a photo.

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Sounds like a good idea Ray. I will post pictures and info when I get back to the homestead this afternoon.

Happy Trails!!! :good:

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Sorry for not getting those pictures of our grease ports on the landing gear. I will get them up ASAP, but we are broke down in St. Johns, Az. with leaky trans cooler return hose.

Looks like “MOD” time!:wacko:

Happy Trails!!!:good:

Frank & Whitney
    Participant

No worries Eddie, you get yourself back up and running. Hope it’s nothing serious.

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Howdy Frank & Whitney! Here is the pictures of how I grease our 5th wheel landing worm gears. I made a 1/4″ hole in the O/S casing of the jack 6″ below the top. Then I use a grease fitting that fits my grease gun for needle zerks ( I use this for our HD U-joints).

Happy Trails!!! :good:

Attachments:
    Frank & Whitney
    Participant

Thank you very much Eddie. I had a feeling that’s about where it should go and just wanted to make sure. I use my landing gear a lot and I would like to keep it  from wearing out early. Hope your back up and running. 🙂

I had a gearbox strip out on mine and replaced the whole assembly, legs and all. Was about $1000. Not fun when you gotta crank that dang thing to get it off and on the truck.

The original gear box was mostly plastic. The replacement was made of metal, but the legs didn’t have the zerk fittings the original set did.  For now I just spray lube down the legs from the top and on the outside when they are extended but want to get some holes farther down as well.

Wade Bissell
    Participant

I just removed both of my landing legs and am in the process of figuring out what is up with them. I can manually turn the shaft on each leg (one is geared and one is not as there is a connecting rod between them when installed) and it doesn’t appear to be making noise or binding up at all. This might be because there is no weight on them I guess.

My question, can I completely unscrew the legs (jack them out) and remove them? And then is it a matter of just putting the legs back in place and screw them back up? I think it should be fine but figured I’d ask in case anyone else attempted this and then regretted it. Thanks.

Eddie & Aileen
    Participant

Howdy Wade, is the gear box on the jack motor binding or loose inside?

Happy trails!!!:scratch:

Wade Bissell
    Participant

No it doesn’t appear to be. Everything rotates freely and the legs go all the way out and back in fairly smoothly. There is some noise (like a clicking sound) that appears to be coming from one of the legs. And I answered my own question about unscrewing the legs. Apparently there is something in there that prevents the screw-jack inside from completely unscrewing.

At this point, without finding the smoking gun, I’m apt to just replace the legs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.